12: Bad dreams

|bad dreams|

—Piper didn't relax until the glow of Quebec City faded behind them.

"You were amazing," Jason kept telling her.

The compliment should've made her day. But all she could think about was the trouble ahead. Evil things are stirring, Zethes had warned them. She knew that firsthand. The closer they got to the solstice, the less time Piper had to make her decision.

She told Jason in French: "If you knew the truth about me, you wouldn't think I was so amazing."

Camilla shivered in front of her, though it had nothing to do with the cold. Piper never really had a problem with Camilla, not even when she told her she was bi. Big deal, she likes guys and girls. Piper wouldn't say anything outright, but... she had to admit it was pretty weird.

Did Camilla like guys and girls the same amount? How did she know? Did her father know? How long ago had she figured it out? How did she know it wasn't a phase? Was she sure? How did she deal with the hate. 

Despite whatever questions she had, Piper thought she was pretty cool. Worst of all, she intrigued Piper.

Hey dark was tied back and sometimes it hit Piper in the face and Piper would have to ask her what shampoo she used. Twice, Piper debated asking her if she could braid her hair just so it would stop going in Piper's mouth. 

"What'd you say?" Piper almost didn't realize Jason was asking her something.

"I said I only talked to Boreas. It wasn't so amazing."

She didn't turn to look.

"Hey," Camilla spoke up for the first time, "you saved me from joining Khione's subzero hero collection. I owe you one."

That was definitely the easy part, she thought. There was no way Piper would've let that ice witch keep her friend. What bothered Piper more was the way Boreas had changed form, and why he'd let them go. It had something to do with Jason's past, those tattoos on his arm, Camilla's last name and her sword. Boreas assumed Jason and Camilla were some sort of Roman, and Romans didn't mix with Greeks. Piper kept waiting for Jason or Camilla to offer an explanation, but they clearly didn't want to talk about it.

Until now, Piper had been able to dismiss Jason and Camilla's feelings that they didn't belong at Camp Half-Blood. Obviously they were demigods. Of course they belonged. But now... what if Jason was something else? What if the two of them really were an enemy? She couldn't stand that idea any more than she could stand Khione. And to think Camilla had been crushing on the ice princess at first—

Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack. He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room. "I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty."

Piper smiled, but Leo didn't look pleased. He hadn't said much about his time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled him out for smelling like fire. Piper got the feeling he was hiding something. Whatever it was, his mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. Piper had no idea how Leo had stocked up on supplies, but he'd even remembered to bring veggie rations for her. The cheese and avocado sandwich was awesome.