Twenty-Five ~ Steve and Bucky

"Ok," Hayden announced, "In this memory, Bucky is ten and Steve is nine."

"When I was nine?" Steve frowned, "Nothing important happened to me when I was- oh."

Steve looked over at Bucky, who was looking down at the floor. Nothing had happened to Steve when he was nine, but something happened to Bucky when he was ten.

"Are you ok?" Steve asked quietly.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," Bucky assured him. Steve wasn't convinced, but didn't say anything about it.

"What troubles you?" Thor asked.

"Nothing," Steve said automatically, then sighed, "We'll, something. But you'll find out."

They all turned to the screen as it lit up to show Steve, looking slightly bigger than the last memory, playing in his garden with a stick. He was twirling it around in the air, looking like he was pretending to fight someone.

"Steve," He heard his mother calling from the kitchen, "Bucky's here!"

Steve broke out in a huge smile and ran inside, discarding the stick as he did. He ran to the front door and opened it wide, just as Bucky had raised his hand to knock.

"Hi!" Steve cried and threw his arms around Bucky. "Where have you been? You haven't been at school for days."

Bucky stiffened when Steve hugged him, and didn't hug back for a moment.

"Are you ok?" Steve asked, releasing Bucky but keeping his hands on his shoulders.

Bucky opened his mouth to speak, but didn't trust his voice so he just shook his head.

"Do you want to come inside?" Steve asked him and Bucky nodded. Steve grabbed Bucky's hands and led him to the sofa. Bucky sat down and drew his legs up to his chest.

"What's happened?" Thor asked, "Why is he so sad?"

"Yeah, who died?" Tony joked in an attempt to lighten the mood, but quickly shut his mouth when he got an angry look from Steve.

On screen, nine year old Steve sat down next to Bucky, a worried frown on his face.

"Mom," He called, "Something's wrong."

Sarah came into the room and crouched down in front of them.

"What is it, honey?" She asked.

Bucky looked up slowly, his blue eyes starting to tear up.

"It's my mom," Bucky said quietly, "She... she's dead." His face crumpled and Sarah pulled him in for a hug as he started crying. Steve just sat next to them in shock, his hand still holding in Bucky's. He couldn't imagine not having his mom with him.

"Oh shit," Tony covered his mouth with his hand, "Barnes, I didn't mean... I'm sorry."

"It's ok," Bucky replied, how voice level and quiet.

"When was it?" Steve asked on screen as Bucky and Sarah broke apart.

"Two days ago," Bucky sniffed, "The Thursday I didn't come to school. It was that morning."

"That wasn't long ago," Sarah said, "Don't you want to be with your family."

Bucky shook his head. "My sister is away at her school and my dad won't talk to me. He said he needs space. At first I didn't want to see anyone either but... I wanted to see you both."

"Well, I'm glad you came round," Sarah said, "You can stay here as long as you need."

"Thank you," Bucky smiled slightly, "I'm not sure my dad will notice I'm gone."