Chapter 4

So maybe Danny had panicked a little.
In his defense, people normally weren't able to sense him while he was invisible.

Thank the Ancients for vigilante reflexes.

Red robin caught the bauble in midair (It was a good thing, too. Head trauma was not on today's bingo card. Only emotional trauma), wheeling around to face the direction it had come from.

Red Robin's signature weapon, the bō staff, sat untouched on the bed. It was clearly within the bird's reach , but, after a moment's hesitation, he did not reach for it.

Instead, he swept the sheet out from under it (the blanket had long since fallen to the floor) and cast it over the general area from which the trophy had flown.

Rather than fluttering to the floor, the sheet draped over seemingly empty space, clinging to what looked to be the figure of a human being.

They both stood there, neither sure what to do next, when one of them finally broke the silence.

"Please don't freak out,"

The sheet swayed, the silhouette taking a step forward before hesitating at the sight of Red Robin's expression.

Rather than aggression or outrage at the stranger that had intruded on his space, all that could be found were distant eyes and a half-hearted scowl.

He brandished a small, disc-shaped weapon in his hand, which Danny noticed was trembling.

The ghostly teen sighed, phasing through the sheet and allowing it to fall to the floor.

He rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he faded into visibility, staying partially transparent in case he needed to get out of there quick.

"Again, please don't freak out. I promise I can explain."

"It's you," Red Robin stated, dumbfounded.

"Yeah, it's me. It's a little hard to explain, but-"

"I'm being haunted."

Well, Danny certainly hadn't thought of that. At least it gave him a built-in excuse for breaking into a literal mansion.

"Uh... yeah, that's it exactly."

The halfa couldn't help but to feel bad for unintentionally gaslighting someone who did so much for the citizens of Gotham, but if there was one thing he knew how to do, it was commit to the bit.

"What do you want from me? If you're here for revenge, just do it already. "

"Woah there, buddy, I ain't that kind of ghost. Besides, I get the feeling I couldn't kill you if I wanted to."

Red Robin sighed, tossing his weapon to the side as he flopped over onto the bed.

"So why are you here?"

The resignation in his tone surprised Danny. From the halfa's perspective, he seemed to be taking things fairly well.

"After the... mishap," Danny chose his words carefully, "I met some other recently deceased who need help. I figured if anyone could help, it would be a hero like you."

This causes Tim to flinch.

"Hero?" he laughed harshly, "how can you say that after what happened? After I failed to save someone from a death that was easily avoidable?"

Yeah, that's a little deeper than Danny wants to go right now. Bail.

"It really wasn't your fault. I shouldn't have been on that roof in the first place."

"That doesn't-"

"How about you do me this one favor, and we call it even? We both move on from this, no hard feelings." Danny tried.

"Are you fucking insane?"

"Aren't you the one talking to a ghost in your bedroom?"

"That's... fair. I feel insane right now."

"Cool, cool. See, I'm not qualified to have this conversation, but I'm sure we can get you some good therapy, champ. I can even recommend you, but first, hows about we move on to the bargaining stage of grief where you agree to help me out."

"I- you know what, fine. What do I need to do for you to leave me the hell alone?"

"Little aggressive there, but go off I guess."

If Tim's annoyed expression was noticed, it was promptly ignored as Danny began to recount the events that had occurred earlier that night.

"So I was floating around this hospital, minding my own business, when this lady stops me and tells me there's bad guys stealing and selling organs from the deceased. I don't remember all the details, short attention span, ya know, but it seems like these guys are in real trouble."

"Hold on, a lady told you all this? How  was she able to talk to you if you're a ghost?"

"She was a ghost too? Keep up, birdie, we don't have all night."

"Right..." Tim takes a steadying breath before continuing, "Can you tell me the name of the hospital, the ghost, or any of the criminals?"

"Yes, no, and no. Gotham general was the hospital if I remember correctly. I didn't catch the lady's name, but she mentioned one of the other ghosts being named 'Jerry'. That's about everything I got. Do you think it'll be enough?"

"Probably not," he sat up with a slight groan, reaching for the computer on the floor next to his bed, "But if I couldn't do this, I wouldn't be a very good detective now, would I?"

Silence once again fell upon the room. Danny awkwardly gathered the fallen sheet and blanket from the floor, setting them gingerly on the foot of the bed.

"Great. Excellent. I think I'll just... see myself out now."

Tim glanced up from his computer as if he had more to say. Seemingly deciding against it, he gives a slight nod before returning to his research.

With a ghostly woosh (Ghosts do, in fact, woosh. That one stereotype is totally true) Danny phases through the wall and vanishes from sight.

About 5 minutes later, a chill down the now unmasked Tim's spine causes him to look up.

"Small issue. No big deal, really, but I kinda sorta can't leave. Like at all."

------

For some reason I can only write when I am extremely sleep deprived. I've been busy with the semester and the new classes that come with it, so I haven't really had the time or energy to write anything. Sorry if this chapter isn't great, I'm just glad I managed to make something :)