Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Dressmakers have always been either a burden or a blessing to young ladies of elegance.

Unfortunately for Anna, dressmakers have always been fond of her, due to her fine figure that suited many styles. The same was easily said for Ruth and were it not for Amie's demand for attention, they could have easily forgotten she was there.

"No, your features are too light for wearing black Ms. Forester. You look like you are going to a funeral." The dressmaker said.

"I told you black would never be her colour." Amie stated putting an emphasis on the her. "I on the other hand can wear any colour." she added pompously, while stepping off the platform deciding to change her dress after the alterations were being prepared for the second time.

"Well why don't you wear this wonderful gown I have here. I'm sure you will look divine in it." Ruth exclaimed, subtly giving a look in Anna's direction, clearly saying it will look ridiculous.

The two young ladies continue with their searching while Amie squeezes into the scandalously low cut gown Ruth had presented to her.

"Oh Ms. Knight, that is the dress for you." Ruth smiled and gracefully twirled around in her full skirted, cream gown covered in flowery designs.

"Why thank you. Although once you see Ms. Forester I dare say you shall forget my simple dress." As Ruth replied Anna stepped out from behind the curtains in a lace patterned, emerald green gown, with a scowl on her face.

"Stop being silly Ruth. We both know I will look average beside all the other proper ladies who will be attending the ball."

Anna had never been fond of balls. Yes she loved to dance, however she highly disliked the finding a partner part. In her old home, every man in the room would want to dance with her, but, unbeknownst to her, her brothers had been keeping them at bay and not her unlady-like tendencies. She had always assumed that she was plain and insignificant compared to the other ladies there.

"You are the one who is being silly. So long as your brothers are not stuck to your side for the entire night, then you shall have the attention of every man at the ball." Ruth said this with so much confidence that Anna found herself almost believing it. She contemplated Ruth's words for a few moments, while she spoke to the dressmaker about their gowns.

Anna contemplated whether her brothers had indeed been keeping her safe from men's gazes? She had always thought it odd that despite the fact that they were all eligible bachelors, they made a point of one of them always sitting out on a dance to stay with her.

Anna wondered if she would be doomed to becoming an old maid because of her brother's over protectiveness. However they did allow Frederick to sing duets with me, but Henry was in the midst of a seemingly thrilling conversation with Ruth at the time and none of the others would have volunteered to sing in front of strangers with their sister. “I have been such a fool.” Anna whispered to herself.

She was annoyed at them for what they had been doing. Allowing her to think of herself as inferior to all other women because of her lack of partners, and the real reason had been them all along.

Just then Amie walked out in a brown-gold gown with a horrid, pastel blue flowery patterned overcoat. All those in the room froze in shock that she was smiling at her reflection in the mirror and before the dressmaker could give her opinion on the dress, Alex steps forward and exclaims loudly "Oh my, Ms. Blake, you look positively stunning. This dress is perfect for you. Don't you agree Beth?"

"You look wonderful sister." Beth knew this would be her only chance to outshine her elder sister and she was glad to see that Ms. Forester seemed to understand.

Following this exclamation, the dressmaker and her assistants began to shower praise upon Ms. Blake, all knowing full well that Juliet looked ridiculous.  

They young ladies left the room a half hour later, all having found their dress for the ball. They entered the drawing room only to find the gentlemen awaiting their arrival.

"Did you all find suitable gowns for the ball?" Frederick asked politely.

"Oh yes we did Mr. Knight. Thank you for asking." Amie replied while making her way towards them. The other ladies followed and after Beth retired to bed, they all sat down for a game of cards, before also retiring soon after.

*************************************************************************************************

Sorry I took so long to update. It's been hectic and I just haven't been inspired at all. Well, hope you enjoyed, and please remember to vote and comment. Thanks........