Who Is He?

Why couldn't it have been the protagonist? Sure, she'll end up with some Prince but at least her life doesn't turn into shambles and death doesn't come visit her when she's only twenty-four! If I woke up as her, at least I could run away or sign divorce papers and live my life peacefully.

But Evara Storm?

She's written out to be vicious, parading her family's wealth and esteem wherever she goes. She's described as superficial, materialistic, and cruel. A bonafide heiress who bullies and manipulates those around her.

"Ugh, but why would she kill herself?" I groaned, muffling my voice so that the two inquisitive maids don't overhear. And for the love of everything sane, how does an average human get stuck inside a book?

Snapping to attention, I wave Ellis and Arin closer and they both glide over and lean in. "Yes, young lady?" they said in harmony.

I vaguely remember skimming through parts, and sadly the catalyst for Evara's demise happens to be her fixation with a Duke.

Time to do some research.

"Can you please tell me more about Duke Hawthorne?" I asked, secretly applauding myself for remembering.

"Um, young lady..." Ellis began, her words trailing to a stop.

"I seem to have forgotten some of my memories, remember? And I'm having trouble recalling my relationship to him."

"But he's the one you were madly in love with!" cried Arin. Ellis elbows her, reprimanding her with severe eyes before turning to me.

"What Arin means, is that you two appeared very close."

Sighing, I frown. "Don't flatter me, Ellis. I'm guessing I was the one who did all the chasing? And I was most likely obsessive in my behaviour."

"I...yes, I'm afraid so. Please punish me if you believe I've overstepped."

Sighing again, I rub my eyes. "Not at all, that man deserves an apology for what he's had to endure and you don't have to act like you're walking on eggshells around me. Let's just say, having a near death experience has made me realise the fault in my ways."

"Um, yes young lady."

Grimacing at her hesitation, I nod aware of the work that's cut out for me. "I'll have to win your trust I understand, but I'm going to need to trust you two to help me recover my memories. So it's a fair exchange."

Her only response is a crackling smile and I offer one back. She has no idea that the young lady she serves no longer exists and may be dead in the real world—where I'm from, by the universe before the pen of the author who created them could write her off on page three-hundred something of a novel. 

Evara is meant to die by poison, administered to her by decree of the King for treason against the kingdom. She's framed by an unknown organisation who wish to overthrow the King but no one believes her because of her atrocious character. She's killed and the protagonist, Diana, discoveries the dark underbelly that exists to create dishevel and uproar.

So not only is Evara erased, she's framed for a crime but her name is never cleared of it. Instead, it's presumed that she had an active hand to play and wished to thwart the King's plans because of her revenge against Hawthorne in rejecting her advances.

But who is he? Who is this fictitious man who ultimately structures and outlines a female character's demise?

"Anything else on Hawthorne?" I asked, now seated in front of Evara's vanity, towelled and dry as Arin brushes my hair and Ellie pours me a piping cup of tea.

Arin grins, a wistful look clouding her eyes. "He's considered the kingdom's most eligible bachelor, and quite wealthy..."

"Insanely wealthy," Ellis cut in.

"He's also cold and stoic and once women lay eyes on him, they fall for him head over heels."

Cue a symphony of classical music in the background. He's probably the typical tall, dark, and handsome type.

"Uh huh." Okay, but he's no Mr. Darcy or Steve Harrington is he? Doubt it. He's probably a pretty boy who thinks he's too good for anyone and all the attention has inflated his ego into denying any woman the chance to get to know him. Because clearly, what a bachelor in this type of set up fears the most, is romance. Once in love, gone is the mystique and stoic persona that made him untouchable to the masses to begin with.

"Will you be sending him a letter? To notify him of your recovery?" Arin muttered, flinching away when I give her a raised brow.

"Absolutely not," I replied firmly, sipping the tea.

Am I supposed to raise my pinky when I drink this stuff? The cup is so small and dainty, I'm afraid my fingers will crush the porcelain.

"Come again? Young lady, are you certain?"

Arin's doubtful voice cuts into my fears of shattering tea cups and hot tea staining all over an expensive dress.

"Yes. I've had enough of him and I'm sure he's done with me. I just want to rest and recover in peace and quiet. From now on, if society wishes to ignore me then I welcome it. Once I'm fully healthy, we're packing our things and moving to the countryside."

Baffled, Ellis wrings her hands against the apron of her uniform. "But Duke Hawthorne will be visiting the estate to see the Master in a few days. Surely, you'll make an appearance then?"

"Not in this life."