Chapter 6

ECKO

My vision was blurry. And this time, I couldn't even attribute it to my less-than-adequate eyesight. This time, it was because I'd been staring at the same spot on my wall for what felt like forever, waiting impatiently for any news at all.

Time had long become an abstract concept, with minutes passing like eternities. And ever since I'd been banished from the Pack House and sequestered within the confines of my parent's house so that – as Uncle Benji put it – "the medical professionals can complete their work without the threat of Ecko interfering," an unsettling sense of restlessness settled into the very marrow of my bones.

Whining, I shoved my face into the duvet, curling even further into myself as Sana scratched endlessly at the forefront of my mind, just as desperate as I to prove them all right in their ploy to keep me away. Realistically, I knew that it was for the best. Of course I did. But it didn't help the ache in my heart, the vicious cramp in my gut that told me he needed me just as much as I needed him.

But instead, I was being taught a brutal lesson on patience, one that hurt so bad that the muffled scream that I let loose into the duvet nearly ripped my throat apart.

"Damn, you've got some lungs on you, lil' bro!" an unwelcome voice suddenly interjected, puncturing itself right through into my steadily encroaching depressive thoughts. "You ever considered trying screamo? I could put you in touch with some local bands that would be stoked to have you. You've got that adorable yet also completely insane vibe going on that they would totally dig."

Even my cheeks flamed in embarrassment at being caught in the middle of what should have been a private emotional burst, I turned my head out of the blanket once, glaring at the sight of Nuri as he flounced his way into my room as if he owned the freaking place. Not skipping a beat, he sprawled out his long limbs on my carpet, nonchalantly spread-eagling across the cushy fabric.

"What the hell... I could have sworn that I locked my door," I muttered blankly, rubbing at my burning eyes which I had no doubt matched the color of my bright hair now. It was a testament to my mental state that I didn't even comment on the fact that he'd so confidently called me his little brother.

"Yeah, well. Nothing keeps me from getting what I want." The eternally monotone voice of my little sister suddenly joined the steadily growing posse as she slipped through the door behind my other brother. She used an unkinked paperclip like a toothpick as she smirked mischievously around it, leaning against the wall next to the door and crossing her legs at the ankle as she unabashedly showed me the tool she'd undoubtedly just used to pick the lock.

Nuri grinned proudly, pointing up at our sister with his own, matching toothpick that seemed to materialize out of thin air. "Taught her everything she knows. What a fuckin' prodigy. Stay tuned, 'cause for our next lesson, I'm teaching her how to really fuck some shit up."

Before I could even begin to form a reply to that highly alarming remark, Theon's large form busted through my door with a casually ridiculous phrase that he'd undoubtedly picked up from our slightly unhinged Uncle Tyrus.

"Hey ho, Muchacho!"

I groaned aloud as the sight of his brightly grinning form, complete with his neck pillow firmly secured and arms filled with bags of chips and other ridiculously unhealthy snacks, finally sent me over the freaking edge.

"Okay, what the fuck, you guys!?" I hollered as I sat up, smashing the closest available pillow to my pained chest as I fought against a new wave of tears that threatened to spill over. They weren't tears of gratitude, but rather tears of sheer overstimulation. "I'm literally experiencing the lowest point of my entire fucking life, and you guys pull this shit?!" The tears weren't just threatening anymore, but full-on attacking as they tumbled down my cheeks for what had to be the millionth time in the past twenty-four hours. And just like all of the rest, I was completely powerless to stop them. "Can't you tell I'm in pain?!"