Chapter XLVI

The door opened and Madalyn, her head maid, came into the room with the water bowl, along with three other maids whose names she wasn't sure of

The door opened and Madalyn, her head maid, came into the room with the water bowl, along with three other maids whose names she wasn't sure of. "Good morning, Your Highness," Madalyn called cheerily, and the other maids echoed the sentiment.

"Good morn, Madalyn. Today I think I would like to wear dark colors. Could you present some options for me?" Madalyn walked towards the wardrobes and pulled out a beautiful black dress lined with rubies in the bust and lace on the sleeves and the skirts. "Here, Your Highness, you've not worn this before."

Aurelia felt the material between her fingers and nodded.

As she was helped into her dress, she asked Madalyn, "Where is the King?"

"I believe he meant to hear petitions this morn, Your Highness."

She nodded and turned to the jewelry boxes to pick some accessories to go with her dress. Picking a simple ruby necklace, Madalyn clasped it around her neck and she chose a pair of matching earrings. As one of the maids followed her instructions and started arranging her hair so it flew down her back without tangles, she thought about how the servants of the Red Keep were some of the best informants on the goings-on of the castle.

She needed to ensure their loyalty. More than that, she needed to be sure they would not report on her to Otto or any other who would seek to pay them to do so. She called Madalyn over to her and whispered in her hair. "Tell my steward to give you 20 gold dragons."

Madalyn nodded and hurried out of the room.

Aurelia turned to the mirror and asked, "Forgive me, but I am not sure of your names."

"Livia, Your Highness," the one arranging her hair answered softly.

The one making the bed answered. "Ros, Your Highness" and the one sorting through her wardrobe answered, "Jayne, Your Highness."

Aurelia smiled at them as Madalyn walked back into her rooms. "You have been a great help to me since I came back to court."

Madalyn approached her and swiftly handed a pouch over to Aurelia. She stood up from the stool where she was sitting, admired herself in the mirror and was satisfied with what she saw. She looked the picture of a Targaryen consort.

"Thank you, Livia, this is perfect," she expressed profusely and took out some of the coins in the pouch before pressing them into her hand.

Then, she did the same and handed coins to Jayne, Ros and Madalyn as well.

Madalyn tried protesting. "Your Grace, this is too much, we are only doing our duty."

"You're doing more than just your duty," she denied. "Duty is cold and unfeeling. You've made me feel welcome back here. Thank you for it."

━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━

Viserys was listening intently in the late morning to petitions of court. He'd been there for hours, but this was a part of his duties as king and he had to attend to them.