viii. king cross station

Euphemia woke up early on the very last day of holidays by the end of today she would be back at hogwarts enjoying their welcome back feast. She dressed in jeans far too loose for her body and an oversized Weasley sweater with the letter E on it. She had gotten down and saw that only Mrs Weasley was in the kitchen making breakfast. Euphemia had tried to help but was batted away by Mrs Weasley who encouraged her to sit down. An hour passed with Euphemia at the table talking with Mrs Weasley at the kitchen before a face appeared in the fireplace.

"Arthur!" She called, "An urgent message from the ministry!" She said as soon as she noticed Amos Diggorys head. This must be a common occurrence for her. She could hear hurried footsteps of Mr Weasley coming down, when he arrived he was wearing his clothes back to front. And soon they were rummaging through drawers for a quill when the boys appeared.

"I've got a quill here somewhere!" While Mr Weasley spoke to Mr Diggory.

"...Muggle neighbors heard bangs and shouting, so they went and called those what-d'you-call-'ems - please-men. Arthur, you've got to get over there -"

"Here!" Mrs Weasley said breathlessly, pushing a piece of parchment, a bottle of ink, and a crumpled quill into Mr.
Weasley's hands. Euphemia sighed a breath of relief before falling back onto her seat.

"- it's a real stroke of luck I heard about it," Mr Diggory's said, "I had to come into the office early to send a couple of owls, and I found the Improper Use of Magic lot all setting off - if Rita Skeeter gets hold of this one, Arthur -"

"What does Mad-Eye say happened?" Mr Weasley said, unscrewing the ink bottle, loading up his quill, and preparing to take notes.

Mr Diggory rolled his eyes. "Says he heard an intruder in his yard. Says he was creeping toward the house, but was ambushed by his dustbins."

"What did the dustbins do?" Mr Weasley asked, scribbling frantically.

"Made one hell of a noise and fired rubbish everywhere, as far as I can tell," Mr Diggory said, "Apparently one of them was still rocketing around when the please-men turned up -" Mr Weasley groaned.

"And what about the intruder?"

"Arthur, you know Mad-Eye," Mr Diggory said rolling his eyes, "Someone creeping into his yard in the dead of night? More likely there's a very shell-shocked cat wandering around somewhere, covered in potato peelings. But if the Improper Use of Magic lot get their hands on Mad-Eye, he's had it - think of his record - we've got to get him off on a minor charge, something in your department - what are exploding dustbins worth?"

"Might be a caution," Mr Weasley said, still writing very fast, his brow furrowed. "Mad-Eye didn't use his wand? He didn't actually attack anyone?"

"I'll bet he leapt out of bed and started jinxing everything he could reach through the window," Mr Diggory said, "but they'll have a job proving it, there aren't any casualties."

"All right, I'm off," Mr Weasley said, and he stuffed the parchment with his notes on it into his pocket and dashed out of the kitchen again.

Mr Diggory's head looked around at Mrs Weasley. "Sorry about this, Molly," He said, more calmly, "bothering you so early and everything...but Arthur's the only one who can get Mad-Eye off, and Mad-Eye's supposed to be starting his new job today.
Why he had to choose last night..."

"Never mind, Amos," Mrs Weasley said, "Sure you won't have a bit of toast or anything before you go?"

"Oh go on, then," Mr Diggory said.

Okay now Euphemia was surprised as MrsWeasley took a piece of buttered toast from a stack on the kitchen table, put it into the fire tongs, and transferred it into Mr Diggory's mouth.