three

9:15 pm

Ariana

I watch as Y/n rests against the railings once more, an awkward silence settling between us. Considering myself lucky at this moment, getting them to stay just a bit longer.

Granted it was for selfish reasons, while they have every right to leave, I just don't want to lose them again. Four years of not being able to speak to the one who treated me so well, only for me to just ruin it all.

I swallow the lump in my throat, "Look, I know that it was hard after I left.."

"Hard? Well that's an understatement." they cut me off, scoffing after. "You wanna know what's so crazy? I was an idiot to think that you would come back and just tell me that it was all a mistake and that you were willing to try."

As much as I wanted to respond, I stayed quiet, knowing that they're right. I wanted for them to release whatever it was they held onto after all this time.

"I waited for you.. I know you told me not to, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't just get over you, especially when I wasn't the one who left. I stayed right where you left me."

***

Preparing for work, I check if have everything I need before I leave the house. Hearing my phone buzz, I look over to see a text.

Y/n | 3:30 pm

Hey, you busy?

Ari | 3:30 pm

No, what's up?

Y/n | 3:33 pm

Nothing, just wanted to
talk to you that's all

I chew on my lip, unsure of how to respond. It had been almost a month since Y/n and I decided to end things and it's been difficult.

We had tried no contact a few times, but one of us were always quick to break it. I couldn't help it, it was so hard to stay away. No one prepared me for not only losing a partner but my best friend.

I told Y/n everything and it felt like the second we broke up, so much hit me and I had no one to talk to. No one was ever able to understand as much as Y/n did.

That was one of the things that I admired most about them. No matter what it was, whether you were right or wrong they would still understand.

Placing my phone up to my ear, I ring their phone, waiting for them to answer. "..Hello?"

It had been some time since I last heard their voice, it was always so comforting. "Hey, sorry I'm kind of in a rush right now, getting to work. Is everything okay?"

Y/n and I made it clear to one another that despite whatever happened, if one or the other needed each other, we would be there.

"It's nothing, I was just thinking about you."

My cheeks flushed red at their words, regaining my composure, doing my best to stay cordial. I hum, waiting for them to continue. "I know this might be stupid of me asking, but I just feel like it would be best if I heard it from you.." they started.