Chapter 30

In a blink of an eye, years pass by for Calliope. She primarily stays in her wolf form, venturing out in her human form once every few years. The pain and sorrow have gone away for her. All that remained was darkness and despair. For years, she wished for death, but it never came.

People still looked to her to lead, most never knowing she was blind. Generations came and gone, and most believed she was more wolf than human. But it became normal for them, as if all Greats were wolves with a human form rather than the other way around.

Things found their new normal for everyone. Forts were scattered around the borders. Rogues and sun wolves set up their own small packs in the outer territories. None seemed to bother with the Moon wolves. In fact, Calliope allowed small trade between them, so long as the trades took place at the defense forts.

The Moon Festival continued sometime after the brief war. Watching the fights had become a favorite pastime for Calliope. She enjoyed watching people train and learn to fight. She found it cathartic.

Everything seemed peaceful, and everyone seemed happy. Everyone but Calliope. She was pleased that she didn't need to put on a fake smile for people since wolves didn't smile. She could sit there, hiding in a prison she made for herself.

Her companions did try to encourage her to shift every now and then. Today was one of those days. Her newest companion, Lea, sat annoyingly in front of Giizis. She had a massive grin on her face.

"Come on, Calliope!" Lea pleaded. "You're turning 150 tomorrow! That is a huge milestone for you to hit! It would be a shame not to celebrate it as a human! I can make you an orange cake; we can get you bathed!"

"And oh!" Lea gasped as she stood. She ran across the room and came back with a folded dress. "I have been working on sewing with Grandma Ginny, and I've made you a new dress!"

She unfolded it and held it out. The dress was black. It had long sleeves. Gold thread accents twisted around the arms, down the waist, and ended at the front.

The dress is beautiful, Calliope sighed over mind link. But I'd ruin the dress. It would sit, collecting dust, while I sit in Giizis.

"So?" Lea shrugged. She folded the dress back and set it down. "It gives me more time to work on your next dress."

If I shift, I need you to promise there won't be any big to do. I don't want a party—just a small gathering.

"I promise! Just a few of us will celebrate quietly. And once it's done, you can shift back and be grumpy in your wolf."

Giizis gave a low growl. Lea laughed and leaned against the wolf. This companion was more open with her thoughts. She didn't hold back, but to be honest, Calliope preferred it that way. Other people would tip-toe around her, thinking anything would set her off or upset her.

Fine, I'll shift, Calliope said after a minute of thought. Let your mom know.

Lea squealed with happiness. She hugged Giizis' neck before leaving the room. Giizis knew the routine: when Calliope was shifting, it was easier to do it in her bedroom so that she could be stripped of her old clothes and bathed. She walked across the palace to the set of doors leading to her room. It had been years since her last shift, years since she last walked in here.

Lea came running up with her mother, Briana, as well as Ginny. Ginny was old for a companion. At nearly 75, she was one of Calliope's longest-living companions. The three women circled Giizis once they were in the bedroom.

When Giizis shifted, Calliope fell to the floor. She was thin and frail. But she hasn't aged a day. Her hair was still bright blonde, and her eyes were still white.

The women rush to help her stand. They removed the old dress and gently took her to the tub. Calliope could feel the steam rising from the water. She slowly raised her leg and stepped in. She gasped at the sensation of the warm water. When her other leg was in, she sat down.

Hands were touching her, scrubbing her with soaps and cloths. They tilted her head back and ran water through her hair. Calliope just sat there, feeling uncomfortable with everything. Her nervous system was going into overdrive, sensitive from the lack of use.

"How old do I look now?" She asked curiously.

"Younger than me," Lea answered. Lea was 24 years old. Three years ago, when she became Calliope's companion, was the last time Calliope had shifted.

"You're a liar. I'm sure I look like I'm in my 50s."

The women looked at one another. It wasn't a lie; Calliope just couldn't see it. See that she still looked like the youngest of the group. Lea gently patted her hand but didn't argue. As much as she loved to tease Calliope, a day when she shifted to human form was not the day to push it.

After she was cleaned, they dried her off and put her in a night dress. They sat her in a chair by the fireplace to dry her hair. They fed her a few bites of food, but Calliope didn't have much of an appetite. She never really did.

After a few hours, they take her to her bed. Lea changed and joined her. Since Calliope had trouble walking, another companion would always share her bed if she needed to get up in the middle of the night.

Calliope snuggled under the warm blankets. The bed was soft and comforting. As much as she hated being human, she loved how lying in bed felt. Her whole body would relax, the pain in her unused muscles would disappear, and her nerves would calm down.

Lea lays beside her, looking at her. She watched her for a few minutes before moving closer.

"Want to know a secret?" Lea whispered.

"What?" Calliope groaned.

Lea took Calliope's right hand and placed it on her belly. Calliope gasped with delight.

"No! Really?" She asked quietly.

"Mhm," Lea replied. "But you can't tell anyone. I haven't even told momma yet."

"Does Blake know, at least?" Blake was Lea's mate and the Beta of the pack. They had tried for years to get pregnant but had no luck, that was until now.

"Of course," Lea laughed. "It is just you and him that know. I want to make sure everything is fine before I tell others. If I lose it early, no one will know."

"You won't lose this one," Calliope said as she pressed her hand harder against her stomach.

She closed her eyes. It had been so long since she did anything like this; since she passed her energy from her hands to others. She focused and steadied her breathing. After a moment, she felt the energy's static and warmth pass from her hand into Lea's stomach.

"Did you just bless my baby?" Lea gasped.

Calliope nodded with a smile. This was the first time she was in her human form when Lea was pregnant. In the past, she would miscarry early, not able to carry past a few weeks. This small thing that she did may help Lea carry to term. At least, that is what Calliope hoped.

Lea took Calliope's hand and pressed it to her cheek. She sighed happily. With a yawn, she let Calliope's hand go. The two women drifted to sleep.

Calliope slept through the night and well into the morning hours. Her body was exhausted and needed as much sleep as she could get. When she finally began to stir, she stretched her arms and felt the cold morning air on her skin. She reached out but felt Lea was gone.

Calliope opened her eyes, and she saw something for the first time in 62 years. She was running through a rocky terrain. But she suddenly stopped and turned, looking off in the distance.

"Caleb!" She heard someone call out. She turned and saw a young boy running up to her. "Caleb, are you coming?"

"Yeah, sorry," she responded. With one last look off in the distance, she continued running over a small rocky ridge. In front of her was a small village. Children were running around, while adults seemed to be either working or doing chores. Where was she?

With a blink, Calliope's eyes turned from white to bright blue again. She saw she was in her room. She looked down at her hands and the bedding. She gasped at the realization that hit her. She sat up in bed, gasping for air. Once she calmed down, once she was able to concentrate again, she looked towards the windows.

Caleb.