Prologue

A nine-year-old Harry Potter curled in on himself in his little cupboard under the stairs. He had just received the worst beating yet and could feel his life force draining away. He welcomed it, his eyes falling shut as he fell asleep for what he hoped would be the last time.

When his eyes opened, Harry was sorely disappointed. He had been hoping for death, but he seemed to be in some sort of bedroom. He was tucked into a large, comfortable bed with white sheets.

Panicked, Harry quickly scrambled off of the bed, just as a man walked in. "I-I'm so-sorry!" Harry stuttered. "I-I know I'm no-not allowed on the-the bed."

The man looked at him with sad eyes. "Of course you are, dearest Harrison."

Harry risked a glance up at him. The man had short, black hair and beautiful onyx eyes. His skin was the color of chocolate and he looked like a god. His full lips were drawn into a kind smile.

"H-how did you kno-know my na-name?" Harry asked.

"I am Death," the man said. "I know a lot of things."

Harry immediately lit up. "So, I did die?" he asked hopefully.

"You did," Death confirmed. "However, I believe that you have much left to do on the mortal plane. So, I offer you a deal. I rarely do this often, so you should feel honored."

"Umm... what deal?"

Death knelt to be at eye level with Harry. He gently caressed his cheek and smiled kindly. "I can send you back as an angel," he said.

Harry frowned. "Tell me more."

"As an angel, you will be able to sense emotions, detect lies, determine the sins of those around you, grant miracles, and change your appearance at will. You will be able to change into any animal at will, as well as use a special thing called Angel's Charm. I will train you to do an angel's duty: protect."

"I'll do it," Harry agreed.

Death grinned. "Wonderful."

∆_______________∆

Harry trained with Death for three years in his realm. He learned how to master his abilities and he learned all about the magical world and its customs and politics.

"It's time for you to return," Death said fondly to the still nine-year-old that was curled up in his side.

The deity had become a father figure to him and he became like a son to the deity. They never spoke of it, as Harry was still too nervous and edgy because of the abuse he suffered.

Harry nodded determinedly as he stood. "I'll make you proud," he said.

"You already have, Harrison," Death said, his voice soft and kind.

Harry smiled and closed his eyes as he was engulfed in a bright light that took him back to the Realm of the Living.

--------------------------------------

I know, it's short, but it's only the prologue. The chapters will be longer, I promise.