Chapter 2

I had to find a hotel. It wasn't late but I didn't want to be running around New York city when it got dark. I didn't know the city, didn't know my way around and I wasn't the best person with directions.

I found a diner, somewhere I could park so I could try and find a hotel. At this rate I wasn't having much luck. Everywhere I tried was full booked. I jumped when my phone started ringing.

My mom.

I answered putting the call on speaker.

"I'm not mad baby I just want to know you're safe".

I felt terrible. I just up and left and didn't take her feelings into consideration. It was a stupid idea, and I was starting to think I should never have come here.

"I can't find a place to stay". I chewed the inside of my cheek waiting for her wrath, but it didn't come. She was quiet for a few seconds before she cleared her throat.

"Surely, somewhere must have an available room. What about a motel?".

There weren't any motels in the area I was in, and I was too tired to drive for miles. The only good thing I had going for me was that the diner I was parked outside was open 24 hours.

"I wish you had never drove up there. Honestly, Ava what were you thinking?".

"I know okay I fucked up, but you won't talk about him. Every time I try to bring him up you dismiss me as if it's nothing. He's still my dad". I had every right to know him. She made the decision for both of us when she moved away but I'm not a little girl anymore.

I wanted to have my own opinion of him.

"If you'd have told me what you were up to then I would have come with you. You didn't have to be sneaky about it".

A sigh fell from my lips as I ran a hand down my face. That was a big fat lie. She would have talked me out of it, and I would have let her. He must have done something awful for her to have so much hatred for him.

"I'm guessing you know where your dads' clubs located?". She sighed.

"Yeah".

"Then go there and ask for Tommy".

Tommy? Could it be the same Tommy I met in the coffee shop? But why would I ask for Tommy if my dad was going to be there?

"Your dad isn't always there so ask for Tommy and he'll look after you".

I didn't want to. I wasn't ready for everything to blow up in my face. Could say I didn't have a good feeling about any of this. I trusted my gut always.

"Ava, do you hear me?". She yelled.

"Yes, sorry but I don't want to go there". I was scared and nervous I felt sick. What if he didn't want to see me? Would he even know who I was?

"Look baby your dad isn't a bad man we just had our differences. But you're in a city you don't know, and it'll be dark soon. You'll be safe at the clubhouse I promise".

I really wish she was here.

"I'm sorry mom, I'm sorry I did this". I was out of my depth. I mean what was I thinking when I thought this was a promising idea? Who sets out to find a man they haven't seen in 17 years?

"You'll be okay A, but please do as I've asked and go to the clubhouse".

"Okay and I've to ask for Tommy, right?".

"Yes, baby Tommy will keep you safe".

..

I went into the diner and got a large coffee to take away. I was still sat outside had been for hours. I hadn't plucked up the courage to go to the clubhouse however I did put the location into my satnav and found out I was only 15 minutes away.