Chapter 18

We sat next to each other, my head resting on his shoulder as we stared at the view before us. Time went by fast, and I knew that school was finishing soon, meaning we'd have to leave, but I wasn't sure I was ready to stop being just us.

We'd had a fun day though. After the movie, we started a competition of who could catch the most food in our mouths. Isaac had brought multiple packets of popcorn so we used those to throw at each other, the other needing to catch the flying piece of popcorn.

I won, unsurprisingly, managing to catch two more popcorn pieces than Isaac. Werewolf reflexes are important, sure, but so is natural talent, something I had that Isaac lacked. I grinned at him when the timer ended, crowning me as the winner.

Isaac was outraged, staring at me to the timer in disbelief, until he decided to get his revenge and grabbed my arm, tugging me forward and pressing his mouth against mine.

There was a lot of that as well. Kissing, quiet whispers and laughter, tangled limbs under the blankets together as we tried to get as close as possible. It was nice, acting like a normal couple. I wasn't even sure if we were a couple, and I was too afraid to ask, fearing the answer would be no. I wanted to be with him, even when we were on opposite sides.

I also forced Isaac to watch Mean Girls, as it was an important movie for everyone's film education, and if you didn't watch it you were an uneducated swine that no one wanted to be around. So I remedied that for Isaac, making him sit through two hours' worth of pure bitchiness between girls, enjoying the horror on his face when they went face to face.

"She got hit by a bus!" Isaac screeched, turning to me. "A bus! Regina George got hit by a bus!"

I laughed, urging him to continue watching the movie. By the end of it Isaac had a whole new perspective of high school girls and may or may not have been a little terrified if Erica, because she reminded him of Regina George.

At one point Isaac begged me to show him some magic, claiming he wanted to 'see me do my witchy-woo thing'. I scoffed, but relented nonetheless, watching as Isaac rocked in the floor eagerly, his eyes set firmly upon me.

I decided to do some illusions, my magic forming into a flower, the picture floating above us. Isaac let out a breathless laugh and I grinned, changing it into a wolf running after the moon. I listened as Isaac threw out suggestions for the illusion and obeyed him, forming it into whatever he wished. The illusions didn't take much energy, so I wasn't even tired after we finished; in fact I felt refreshed after using my powers.

Now we sat there, under all the blankets, side by side, staring quietly at the view. We could see trees, buildings, and the faint outline of Beacon Hills High School, where we were supposed to be right now.

I turned to the side, staring at Isaac, the boy oblivious to my gaze. I stared at him, and my heart warmed, looking at this boy who was so kind, who had been through so much and yet managed to survive.

"Why didn't you tell me about your dad?" My voice came out quiet, soft, and I risked a glance at Isaac. He stiffened, eyes darting away from mine. "Or anyone really. They could have helped you."

Isaac stared at the view, his eyes distant as he answered. "Because he was my dad. I know he was horrible, but he was all I had. Without him I was alone, and that was scarier than anything my dad did to me. I didn't want to be alone, even if that meant being abused by him, but I ended up alone anyway so..."

I grabbed his hand. "You're not alone. You've got your pack. Derek, Erica, and Boyd.... And you've got me."

Isaac smiled at my words, leaning forward to gently press his lips against mine. This kiss was different from the others. It was slow, soft, it meant something, and as Isaac moved his hand to rest on my cheek, gently caressing it, I knew he knew it meant something too.