Whiskers and Petals

Your second day of classes was thankfully less eventful than your first.

You had greatly enjoyed breakfast at the Slytherin table, especially now that you had Ominis' polite good humour to dilute Sebastian's high-energy antics.

When you had entered the Great Hall you had seen Nerida wave at you from where she sat with Imelda. You had initially made a move to sit with her—but Sebastian just pulled you down next to him, squeezing you between himself and Ominis.

Once seated you craned back to look at the teachers eating at the top of the hall. You saw Miriam and Eleazar locked in a serious conversation with a beautiful red-haired witch with a large hat. As if sensing your gaze, Eleazar looked up and caught your eye, giving you an encouraging, gentle smile. You felt relief as you gave a small wave back.

It might be some time before you didn't need regular reassurances of his good health.

The food was again, delicious as you filled up on golden hash browns and spicy grilled mushrooms. You had been surprised when you reached for the dark pitcher of juice to discover it was not apple—but rather pumpkin, which you were pleased to find you preferred.

As you ate, Ominis asked which classes were on your schedule that day. Realising this was a good question you pulled out your field guide.

"Let's see—it looks like I only have two classes?" you furrowed your brow in confusion.

"Yeah, most people have only a few classes on a Friday. It used to be because of Quidditch practice and clubs—but the old bat in the headmaster's office is being a git." muttered Sebastian ruefully as he took a large swig from his coffee.

Quidditch?

You had heard this word before but had not yet asked what it was—afraid of sounding as idiotic as you had when you admitted not knowing what a 'knut' was. You then felt Ominis lean in close to your ear.

"Quidditch is a wizard sport played on broomsticks. You might compare it to muggle football played in the air with a few additional rules. Seb is on the Slytherin team." he said quietly.

Grateful for the kind explanation, you covertly found his forearm and gave him a long squeeze followed by a short one. His initial surprised expression at your touch shifted to a secretive smile as he understood, giving you a nod.

"So what's on then, do we have any classes together?" and Sebastian peered over your shoulder at your schedule. "You have Beasts first and then...excellent! You have Transfig with me and Ominis before lunch."

You nodded appreciatively, pleased that you would have friends with you in what sounded like a complicated topic.

While you were still wary of Sebastian's motives, your initial irritation with him was slowly fading—especially with Ominis now helping to divide his attention. Though you still found his flirtatious and impetuous manner rather—improper at times, you couldn't help also finding it a little charming.

"I wouldn't bring anything you care about to Transfiguration by the way. Seb has a habit of accidentally lighting things on fire when he is trying to transfigure them." joked Ominis. Sebastian gave a cheeky grin.

"I may have toasted a few teapots—but lest we forget that you were the one who turned Effie Dunstock's new satchel into a chicken last year—which then proceeded to escape."

You tried to contain your giggle at this mental image. Ominis just gave a nonchalant shrug as he sipped his tea.

"It's hardly my fault she didn't take the rooster feather quill out of the bag before she let me borrow it. It completely changed the structure of the spell. It was fine, I bought her a replacement."