Chapter 28

🤔Crystal's POV🤔

"Class dismissed," Mrs. Patrick says, and I start packing my stuff. Ben never came to class; usually, Lucas would be here, but he hasn't been around. Oh well. As I hoist my bag over my shoulder and make my way out, I get a text from Laura saying that they could leave early but Nora and she were assigned a project on which they were going to work together. I text her that it's good and that I'll meet them at the cafeteria.

Walking past the hall and making my way there, I notice people whispering to each other while looking at their phones, and some of them look at me. I don't stare at them directly but in my peripheral vision, I know they're staring at me.

I quicken my pace and soon make it to the cafeteria; I make my way to a corner table far away from prowling eyes. I take the romance book I've been reading for a while, put my earbuds in, and play a calm instrumental. Soon I'm calm and feel like the only person in the room. The chattering and buzzing of students that come and go don't register in my head as I'm stuck in my own little world.

As I continue to read, I get to the part where the male lead chases after the female lead after knowing the truth of her identity. He captures her and forces her to listen as he confesses to her; the female lead calms down at the realization of his words and leans in to OUCH!

"What was that for?!" I exclaim while removing my earbuds and looking up to see Laura next to me with a book in her hand as she crosses her arms, while Nora makes her way to sit opposite me.

"Girl, I've been calling you for the past few minutes, but you were in your own little world," Laura huffs and goes to sit next to Nora. "What are you reading?" Laura asks as she puts her books on the table.

"A romance book," I say and go back to reading the book.

"Which chapter are you in right now?" Nora asks.

"Chapter 20."

"Be careful of chapter 29; that's where things get really steamy."

My eyes shoot up to look at her, and I close the book, putting it on the table and giving it some space.

"What? It wasn't that bad. Sure, a little traumatizing, but the book is quite intense and fun. I really liked it; I think you should continue," Nora says and shrugs.

I give her a skeptical look before looking between the book and her, then pick the book and continue back to where I left off. While I read, Nora and Laura keep working; soon, they take a break and take out their phones.

I hear a light gasp and look up to see no shock on their faces as if nothing happened. "Is something wrong?" I ask. "Hmm, no nothing," Laura says and puts on a smile that looks quite similar to her fake but also 'I want to murder someone, regardless of what you say or if they beg for mercy and cry for their mama' smile. I sigh and go back to my reading while jumping over chapter 29 the moment I see it. I don't pay attention too much to my surroundings, but I can hear the faint sound of a notification and maybe a pencil snapping in two; I don't know.

"Hey, Crystal," Nora calls me, and I look up to see her and Laura getting up. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Laura and I need to go, but we'll be right back," Nora says, and they walk out of the cafeteria, closing the doors. I go back to my book but feel a notification vibration on my phone. I turn it on and see that it's my Instagram, and my favorite author just posted about her trip for inspiration. I open and marvel at the places she's been so far: Italy, Spain, Nigeria, and so many other places. I like them and smile; I dream of also traveling the world one day. It seems to be the dream of many to travel, but I honestly believe that it would be a worthwhile experience that I love to keep in my memories. The thought of the culture makes me giddy, and the thought of the food makes my stomach growl, which reminds me that I haven't had my lunch yet.