5

"Pink or green?"

   I asked my sister's reflection in the mirror, holding up the two sundresses up to my body.

   "I think the green looks better." She said, nodding in assurance. "For sure."

   I went into my bathroom and changed into the dress, putting on some makeup and throwing my curls up into a little ponytail, then tying a ribbon around the that to complete the look.

   "What shoes?" I asked.

   "Those pastel pink stockings and your white flats." She answered. "I think that'll look good."

   "It better, 'cause I've got to leave in a few minutes for Jenni's." I laughed, furiously pulling on my stockings.

   "Oh, don't forget your pearls." Jo picked them up from my dresser and clasped them around my neck whilst I struggled to pull on my flats. "And you could put in those little diamond studs grandad gave you."

   "Oh yeah, can't forget the jewelry." I stumbled over to my jewelry box to get the earrings then put them in my ears.

   "Okay, Jo. Am I forgetting anything else?" I asked, grabbing my purse.

   "Nothin' but how to act with decency." She scoffed.

     I shot her a look. "Oh, hush up. Seriously."

    "Do you have her present?"

   "Oh! How could I almost forget that?" I laughed, snatching the gift from my desk and then checking the time on my alarm clock.

   3:31. Jenni's party was at four.

    I checked my look in the mirror one more time before heading downstairs.

   "Bye, mom. I shouldn't be back late." I said, watching her fill in a word on her crossword.

    "Okay, have fun." She looked up. "Oh, I love the pearls. Are those the ones Angie gave you?"

    "Yeah." I ran my fingers over them. "Do they look alright?"

    "They look great. You look great." She smiled. "Say hello to Jenni's mom for me, too. Drive safe."

    "Yes, ma'am!" I smiled back. "I'll, uh, see ya later."

     All of this newfound freedom and compliments from my usually strict mother were making me unsure if I was actually living in the right world.

    But I was eighteen. And she did say I could do whatever I wanted now.

    So, I wasn't complaining.

    "See ya later, hun."

    When I arrived at Jenni's party, I felt like I was walking back into my senior year all over again.

    Everyone was there, even some of the upcoming seniors like the cheer captain, Cherry Valance and her boyfriend Bob Sheldon. And even Randy Adderson and his girlfriend.

    It was supposed to be a pool party, but as most pool parties go around here, no one was swimming.

    "Milli!" I heard Jenni call. "Oh, is this for me?"

    She laughed, quickly taking the present from my hands.

    "There's refreshments over there on the porch, and then we'll be doing gifts over there in the gazebo." She smiled, tainted with fakeness. "Thanks for coming!"