viii. punishments and rewards

•°. *࿐

viii. punishments and rewards

          AVONLEA WAKES SUDDENLY, every thought now in high definition. What she assumed was a figment of her imagination was true, her airways were cut off. Her eyes take a moment to adjust but when they do, there is no confusion around the culprits. The white masks with tinted glass gave it all away.

When they realised she was now conscious, the peacekeeper waves over his partner and lift her out of the bed, setting off an instinctual fight and flight reflex. Her mouth and nose are still covered, cutting off her breathing and stopping her from making any vocal noises but she kicks and struggles in their grip. They manage to get her out the door before she breaks free of their hold, gaining herself a blow to the stomach.

Avonlea buckles over in pain, reaching under her nightgown to where she kept a knife hidden for precautionary reasons. She maintains an act of hurt as she pretends to lean on the peacekeeper to help herself stand up, instead she stabs him in the shoulder.

In an attempt to wipe the smile from her lips, the injured peacekeeper punches her in the face but her expression remains unchanged. She knows she won't be able to escape this attack because unless these are rogue peacekeepers, they were sent by Snow. And even if she escaped these two, he would have more waiting outside. The only reason she had to fight back was to make sure Snow knew she would not go quietly, she still had some fight in her.

The second peacekeeper pulls a large needle from his pocket while the first one pins Avonlea against the wall. She wriggles and shuffles under their hold as they open the needle and jab it into her arm with shaky hands.

The next time she is conscious she is underneath the Presidential Palace strapped to a chair. Avonlea lifts her head up to make eye contact with President Snow and two different peacekeepers to the ones who abducted her. 

"You embarrassed me, people are very angry. If I promise someone something, they will get it" Coriolanus Snow starts, standing in front of her with his hands behind his back and a monotonous expression.

"You did this for what? A boy?" Snow asks. Avonlea freezes up immediately, terror washing over her like a wave. She couldn't imagine the guilt she'd feel if Snow punished Peeta for her defiance. She tries to speak but her mouth is dry and she can't form a steady thought. Her aim wasn't to make it out alive anymore, it was to protect Peeta and make sure he wasn't harmed for her wrongdoings.

"I'm just trying to be a good mentor, isn't that what you wanted me to do?" She asks, taking the focus off Peeta and making herself seem as though she meant no harm. 

"I know you meant well but you did the wrong thing and now you must be taught a lesson. You'll never learn if you aren't punished" His lips curl but his eyes remain blank. With a nod towards the peacekeepers, Snow leaves the room, allowing them to dish out his dirty work. Avonlea helplessly watches as the peacekeepers slip on a pair of brass knuckles each, bracing herself from the imminent impact.