Chapter 7: Rescuing Allies

As the skies got dark over the Azur Lane base, clouds started to roll in bringing a lot of rain with them. It managed to catch pretty much everyone out as they were enjoying as much of their time on the beach as possible.

All the girls expect from Enterprise dashed back to the dorms as quickly as they could to avoid getting too wet. The Grey Ghost opted to stay stood on the beach, staring out into the distant.

You had been watching from the road the entire time with an umbrella held over your head by Belfast, keeping you both dry.

"She's been stood there a little while now. Think it's best to see what's up with her." You said, opening the car door and stepping.

The rain fell onto your head, but Belfast was quickly at your side again with the umbrella in her hand. The two of you walked down to Enterprise who only noticed you both when you stood next to her.

"Oh...commander. I didn't think you were still here...time seems to have flown by." She said.

"Yeah, I wanted to give you enough time to think since you looked so preoccupied." You said in response.

"Though it has been a little while and it is starting to rain quite hard. Can't have you getting too wet and cold out here." You continued on.

"You needn't be worried about that commander. I would be fine anyway." Enterprise said as she turned to face you.

You smiled at her and nodded your head.

"You are a pillar of strength Enterprise there is no doubt about that. But every pillar still needs a foundation, that's what makes it even stronger." You said putting a hand on her shoulder.

"No matter how many times you say I don't need to worry, I'll keep on worrying anyway. That's just who I am." You said, your smile widening before you turned your gaze to the ocean in front of you.

Enterprise on the other hand found herself staring at you. You were one of the only people other than her sisters that had not been deterred by the way she usually acted when someone extended an offer of help.

It made her happy.

"What did Unicorn say to you?" You asked, breaking the silence and Enterprise out of her trance.

"She...was thanking me for saving her when the Sakura Empire attacked." Enterprise began, her eyes drifting down to the sand before she continued.

"Then she...went on about the sea. She said she thought it was beautiful..." She then trailed off, prompting you to jump in.

"And what do you think about it?" You asked, greeted by silence for a few moments before Enterprise came up with her answer.

"...I see the ocean as a battlefield. Every time I imagine it, I can feel the sting of the ice cold water and can smell the fresh gunpowder. I can hear the explosions and grinding of metal...for that is what our purpose is. To fight on the ocean." She said.

You hummed before sighing deeply and pinching the bridge of your nose.

"I understand how you feel Enterprise. Though I may not have the experience nor have been in combat as much as you girls, but I did grow up on the water practically." You said before stopping, not wanting to rattle on too much as you didn't know if Enterprise would be interested.

"You did? Would you...mind telling me more?" Enterprise asked, surprising you slightly.

But nevertheless, you continued on.

"Sure! When I was old enough, I joined a naval academy and finished off my studies there. Everyone there was so impressed with my progress that they sorta pushed me forward very quickly. Also, the war with the sirens sort of accelerated the process too." You said, your smile dropping which didn't go unnoticed.