14: You Got (Cos)Played

Vivian doesn't waste her time, immediately pulling out a wireless mic from her pocket and tapping it until everyone quiets down and faces the stage

"Good morning, everyone! How are you doing today?" The cosplayers scream some variation of good and clap their hands, filling the gymnasium with noise. I watch Kayley in the front row as she self-consciously adjusts the pieces of her costume just so. Reya has moved closer to the front and sits with her arms crossed grumpily across her chest. Vivian continues in her caricature-like southern drawl, reminding me of a sickly sweet cooking show host. "I thought so! My name is Vivian Connor, and I have had the absolute pleasure of organizing this year's Homecoming Week festivities!"

Everyone claps again, including Mayor Holloway, who gazes at Vivian like he's never met a more inspirational person in his entire life. She hands him the mic and he briefly introduces himself to the crowd, launching into a lengthy speech about local sponsors and tourism in South Carolina, and I start to feel my interest slipping.

"Look at that." Teresa nudges me in the ribs, hard, and nods her head at Vivian.

"What do you mean?"

"That. Their hands."

I look closer and, sure enough, I notice that Vivian and Mayor Holloway are holding hands beneath the table.

"What the fuck?" Why is Bay's mother, a married woman and arguably one of the most powerful people in the town, holding hands with Mayor Holloway in public? Does Bay's father approve of this little development? Unfortunately, I can't discuss it any further with Teresa because Vivian reclaims the microphone.

"Thank you, Mayor Holloway! Now, how many of y'all are from out of town?" Vivian asks, and a shocking number of hands jut up into the sky – definitely more than half. "Well, that is just amazing! I would like to welcome you all on the behalf of the town of Hemlock Landing. Of course we'd like to think that you're here for a taste of our special brand of southern hospitality, or the beauty of our forests and hiking trails–which we encourage you to take advantage of! But, let's be real: I know that you're all here for our third and most special guest judge."

Teresa and I clutch onto each other as the room literally starts to tremble with teenage screams.

BAY! I LOVE YOU!

MARRY ME, BAY!

BAY BAY BAY BAY–

His name fills all of my senses until I can hardly think straight, and it's almost frightening. I don't know if I feel more inclined to join in or run screaming. Meanwhile, Vivian grins out at the crowd from the stage as if she's leading the world's most powerful chorus. She taps on the mic again to regain control, but this time she still has to raise her voice to be heard. "Are you ready for him to come out?"