Chapter 4: Home

Summary:

Harry talks to his not-father and later to Tom Riddle. He gets a surprise visitor or three. Everyone else is surprised, too.
____________________________________

"Hello Definitely-a-Potter! Is it my turn for the life-affirming talk?" James smirked as he asked.

"Don't be a bully." Harry threw down a notebook full of prank ideas. He'd crossed out several, though not as many as he'd feared. Added a couple too, or a couple spells that would be more efficient. But that was for later.

"Listen to Remus," Harry continued. "He's not the best at standing up to you, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. Pranks are funny only when everyone is laughing. And you can't possible have listened to all those talks with Maurice and I and still think Slytherins are blanket evil. Don't be a bully. Not when you're so much better than that."

James didn't blow up, which kind of surprised Harry. Harry had been putting this conversation off, partly because he hadn't actually seen a lot of particularly concerning behaviour, partly because even heroes were cowardly sometimes.

But Hermione said the artifact was almost charged and definitely stable. They were going to move on Voldemort very soon. Harry was running out of time.

James leaned forward before hoisting himself up into the stone window ledge. He looked back at Harry, one leg dangling over the edge.

"I think I'm getting that."

Harry raised an eyebrow and James when back to looking towards the Forest.

"Your talks and Maurice are some of it, sure. And I've flipped through the books Remus has from Hermione's reading list. But. It's not just that. Peter said something, too, and he was shaking to say it, but so very earnest. I, I made him uncomfortable and I hate that. Sirius is also talking to Regulus again and I'm pretty sure he'd belt me one if I took it too far. And Lily and Sniv-Snape have always been friends. I don't like that. I blamed it on the Slytherin thing but I just didn't like it. And she's made it very clear I accept their friendship or go jump off the Astronomy Tower."

"I find it hard to believe it's the first time she'd said something like that."

James snorted. "No, but it's the first time she said almost the exact same thing I said to a seventh year teasing Peter about his transfiguration that same morning. I, if he's as important to her as my friends are to me, that yours are to you, then I messed up."

Harry hummed, leaning on the wall beside the window with crossed arms. "You did."

James scowled.

"But hey, that's what kids do. That's why you go to school: to learn."

James's scowl deepened. Harry wasn't surprised. It's not like he would have appreciated a talk on his mistakes when he was younger. Depending on the year, he would have absolutely blown up.

"So what have you learned, James Potter? And, more importantly, does that change who you want to be?" Harry studied the suit of armour across from them instead of returning the gaze he could feel boring into his cheekbone. "Because that's the remarkable thing, isn't it? You have the ability to choose and the time to change you mind."

Harry let the silence sit for a moment before pushing off the wall.

"Who did you choose to be?" James asked just before Harry would have walked out of earshot.

Harry paused and turned halfway around to stare at the face that was so similar to his own.

"Someone who would always be there for my friends. Someone who would never let their choice be taken away again. Someone who fought to protect rather than harm."