Chapter 9

Time flew by, and soon enough, two weeks had passed, and the dinner party was tomorrow night. Ember was dreading the evening. Not only would she probably be without a date, but Marina would see this as an opportunity to match her up with one of hers or Reggie's single friends. Ember shuttered at the thought, not realising she also sighed out loud.

"Is there a problem, Boot?" Bradford asked annoyed at his rookie's laissez-faire attitude

"Nothing important sir." Ember leaned on her hand. Bradford groaned as he recalled a conversation with Reed.

"You got to be more approachable to your rookie. No wonder she's so wound up."

"We're not supposed to be their friends." Bradford argued back.

"But they are our work buddies, shouldn't you at least cut her some slack."

Bradford took a deep breath, preparing himself for the conversation.

"If you got something you want to get off your chest, do it now. I don't want you distracted if we get a call."

Ember slowly turned her entire body, her eyes raking over her T.O., a look of surprise on her face.

"Who are you and what have you done to Officer Bradford?" Bradford twitched, not enjoying Ember's reaction.

"Forget I said anything." Bradford said, hoping that it would put a stop to it.

"Like I'm really concerned. Are you okay?" Ember was now giggling.

"Shut it, Boot."

"Oh come on, let me have this." Ember replied, full blown laughing now.

"You are impossible." Bradford muttered. Realising that the offer was actually serious, Ember tones down.

"Sorry. I just wasn't expecting that." Ember finally quieted down. "I just don't want to bother you."

"I wouldn't have asked if it was a bother." Bradford told her. She figured what could be the worst thing to tell him.

"My godmothers are hosting a dinner party tomorrow, and I'm supposed to bring a date. Jackson was my first option, but he's going to a family thing as well tomorrow. Nolan seemed out of it, probably going through some things, poor thing. And most of my other friends don't live nearby. So I'll be dateless." Ember explained.

"What's so bad about going without a date?"

"My godmothers will play matchmaker with me and their various single friends."

"Oh." Bradford wasn't sure how to respond to all that,

"Yeah." She responded. Before Bradford could reply, a call came in about a person harassing a shop owner. Ember responds to the call and they drive to the location. They arrive and quickly calm down the situation. Turns out the girlfriend was harassing her boyfriend, the owner of the coffee shop, about changing the password of the Wi-Fi.

"Young love, am I right?" Ember tried to joke, and was met with a scowl. As they were heading back to the shop, a familiar voice caught Ember's attention.

"Darling? Look at you, my adorable blue bunny."

Ember spun to see Marina with her arms wide open, which she accepted, but quickly pulled back as she remembered she had company.

"And who's this handsome fella?" Marina asked slyly.

Ember, wanting to end this interaction between her personal and work life, figured she'd get the introductions out of the way and pray that her T.O. be an ass and shoo away Marina.