(Not) At home

S U N O O

  Finally, the day was over.

  I quickly pack up my things, sling my backpack over my shoulder, and walk out of the classroom, heading to the school gates.

  My ankle still hurts, but I can't afford to be late again. Jin-Ae got super angry last time. I sigh in relief as I walk out the school gates with nobody stopping me.

I smile as I breathe in the fresh air, the thought of no one bothering me when I walk home makes me so happy. I wish every walk home could be like this.

  Everything was nice and peaceful for a few minutes until a hand pulled me back by my hair as I was about to reach into my bag for my umbrella as it started to rain.

  I screamed due to the shock and pain I felt.

  I quickly turned to face whoever just pulled my hair, and my heart dropped.

  "Look at that, he screams just like a girl," She teased, looking back at her new friends, hand still in my hair.

  "W-what do you want? Let go of me!" I stuttered, slapping her arm away.

  "Now you're hitting me? Wow, what a person you've become. I can't believe I was friends with a loser like you," She snapped, slapping me across my face.

  I fell onto the floor, tears stinging my eyes, threatening to come out.

  "Why do you hate me so much, Jin-kyong!?" I screamed, voice shaky.

  "Hmm," She started, leaning close to my face. "I don't know...something about you just annoys me."

  "W-what?" I said in confusion. I've never done anything to annoy her—not that I know of. She was the one that left me with no explanation.

  "Ah! I got it!" She exclaimed, beaming. "You're whole existence is annoying! KiII yourself, you piece of shit."

  Everything froze. I didn't understand.

  What did I do that was so wrong to make her hate me like this? To ruin our seven years of friendship?

  I stay on the floor, frozen, capturing the scene before me. Jin-Kyong and her friends, high-fiving, laughing at me, taking selfies with me in the background.

  "Ah! Right. I forgot my umbrella," Jin-Kyong said, pouting, though her umbrella was clearly in her hand.

  "Did you bring yours?" She asked, snatching my bag off me and dumping everything onto the wet floor.

  As soon as the umbrella tumbled out, she dropped my bag, snatching the umbrella off the floor.

  "See you tomorrow, piece of shit!" She said, smiling, kicking my things.

  As soon as she left, the tears that I had kept in came pouring out.

  I cried and cried as I quickly picked my things up off the floor, covering my head with my arm and running home, attempting not to be late.