Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“What in God’s name happened here?” Iagan burst out when he saw a woman crying over a body and five dead guards.

“Sorry,” Iagan added when he saw Thomas glaring at him for his remark in the Lord’s name.

“I don’t know,” Jarred shook his head, “Where’s Isadora?” He asked, looking around for the person who was on guard and obviously killed all these people.

“Obviously she fled,” Dawn spoke up, crouching by the bodies of the guards, inspecting something, “like a coward,”

“Watch your tongue,” Drystan growled at her, his eyes sharp and venomous as he heard her comment, “Isadora wouldn’t leave for no reason.”

Everyone fell silent as they heard him defend her before Dermot spoke up, “Who’s the boy? Was he caught in the crossfire?”

Drystan turned away from Dawn, giving her one last look, and nodded to Thomas who stepped forward and comforted the grieving woman so they could get to the body.

“Single wound from a sword,” Drystan murmured.

“Entered in the lower right abdomen and exit at the top left shoulder,” Iagan whistled at the extent of the wound.

Drystan’s mind was working overload as he ran the scene through his head but every time he came up with the same awful conclusion that Izzie had killed the young boy.

But where was she now? Drystan stood and examined the area.

If Izzie had killed him and it pushed her over the edge then he knew she wouldn’t come to them; she’d been on her own for such a long time that she wasn’t about to trust them after a few days.

His eyes scanned the forest in the distance and knew, somehow, that she had gone inside.

He had to go after her.

* * *

Izzie found a secluded spot behind a bush near to the camp and checked it out.

The large clearing was filled to the brim with tents, camp fires lit up the area in the darkness and the scent of horses filled her nostrils.

Twenty campfires. Ten or so men per a campfire.

Izzie did the maths in her head and knew instantly that it wasn’t good . . . for them.

The mood that she was in now nothing would stand between her and her vengeance.