Chapter 37: Freedom

AN:

I got a lot of feedback on the last chapter and while I mostly disagree with the notion that Luffy is nerfed there was a part of me that thought I took it a little too far so I made some small changes. Now I think the last chapter is in a good spot and leads well into this one. I'd try and explain my reasoning behind why I don't think Luffy is nerfed but it would take too long and it probably wouldn't change many minds anyway. Plus, you guys are free to think what you want.

Once again I always appreciate the feedback and I do take your comments into account when writing so, as always, don't be afraid to let me know what you think.

Enough outta me, go read.

---

Chapter 37: Freedom

"DEMON BRICK FIST!".

The world surrounding the area seemed to lose its color momentarily and a large black fist stopped just short of Luffy's form before the air violently shattered, multiple arcs of black lightning cracking through the air as wave upon wave of force exploded through him. He could feel his body ripple under the invisible impact and, soon enough, his feet could no longer stay rooted to the ground.

Nami screamed her lungs bloody while watching her captain's form shoot through the air, his figure exploding into the debris that already littered the area. She slowly turned back to the person who'd attacked him with wide eyes... She'd never seen him before...

The fishman was larger than Arlong by a good margin and his most defining feature was the pair of large incisors that sprouted from the bottom row of his teeth. His round form was wrapped in a yellow kimono with a black cape pinned to his shoulders, his fist still held out in front of him as his black eyes glared in the direction he'd sent the object of his ire.

Luffy groaned as he pulled himself out of the wall... What the hell had just hit him?... Stone crumbled around his form and he hissed when he made to stand back up, bones cracking where they definitely weren't supposed to. He finally made it to his feet and looked up into the black eyes of his attacker.

The chill running down the pirate captain's spine was ever present, like it was telling him that he was in constant danger. And he believed it... This guy was strong... Way stronger than Long-Nose... He could already tell... His heart began to beat faster and along with it, a smile graced his face once again. He wasn't at one hundred percent after his previous fight... Not even all that close, really... But... His eyes glanced the blood flowing from both his side and arm before he looked back up at the large fishman staring at him, smile growing wider at the thought of the coming clash... He still had more to give...

"Hey... Nami.", Luffy said, the bright smile never leaving his face... Shanks had said only to use it as a last resort so he'd never had the chance to really fight with it before... The thought made his heart rate increase. If he could use armament, he might've had a chance at winning, however, without it, he had only one other option to even the odds... With every beat of his chest, the swirling feeling underneath his skin grew more and more agitated, as if begging for release... His grin continued to widen and he stoked the power more, his steps seeming to become heavier during his approach.

The teen glanced over his shoulder at the girl staring at him with a pair of wide brown eyes and winked, the rain beginning to vibrate around his figure, "He'll get most of it, but...". He turned away and his smile widened to epic proportions, "... Do me a favor and don't pass out.".

Nami barely even had the time to brace herself before something she'd never felt rolled through her like a wave, a gasp leaving her lips when her knees almost buckled. Not unlike moments earlier, black lightning with thin edges of red light suddenly began arcing from Luffy's figure. She would have thought it was the same phenomenon from the previous attack, but a part of her knew it was different... Not only were the strikes slightly different in color, blue edges being exchanged for red, but these also came with a weight the likes of which she'd never felt in her life...