22. Sugar glasses Today

SEVEN YEARS AFTER

HUNTER

I saw her from far but I knew her right away. Fuck. I can't believe she is here. After so long. After seven fucking years, tonight I see her. She  has changed. She seems more reserved than usual. Her lips are pressed tight. She keeps her gaze often fixed to the exit. It's almost like she wants to leave. She doesn't interact with anybody. She stays alone, more like a loner than the lone wolf she used to be. Even with that label, she somehow makes it look like she is mysterious and she likes to be left alone. I don't stop my assessment of her. When I glance down at her figure, an hour glass shape with the way her pant suit fits her has my fists clench and unclench. Her low pony wants to be tugged so her neck would arch back. Fuck fuck. I can't believe Kit Kaur is here. I wash a hand over my masked face. This is not what I thought when Van asked me to send her three extra tickets for tonight. I should have known though. Stupid me! The only person I have was compelled to keep in contact with from my high school is Van King. I didn't see Yarrow Jacob or Rina Tong back in Oxford, in fact we were in separate buildings. But the reason I am in contact with Van was because of this. I look around the place, the party of the Secret Society. I am its chairman followed by four important positions below me. The vice president, the secretary, the treasurer and most newest addition, general executive manager. These four posts were under my friends and Van King. My vice President, Neil Hubert. A one of a kind friend I made at Oxford. Neil was half Korean and half British and we had similar experiences where people often mistook us similar due to our green eyes. Instead picking out the hypocrisy of the racism in this country, we often had fun with girls, messing with their heads a bit. As I can see, we hadn't left that college-ridden messed up days behind us when  I saw Neil talking to Kit earlier. The secretary is Avery Khan, half Pakistani and Half British. Another friend I made at Oxford. She is as cunning as they come and as beautiful as she proclaims herself to be. We haven't hooked up because I think she might have eyes for Neil and also, we became drinking buddies that rats out secrets that we shouldn't. Our treasurer is Rochester Fallow, the money bags of this place and as he comes from old, OLD money, we get access to a places like Towers of London to host secret society parties. The way I met Rochester was an interesting story. He doesn't particularly like me but tolerates me only because of Avery, who anyone can see he is clearly in love with. A foul love triangle I am thankful not to be part of. I met Rochester the same night I bumped across Van. It was at a cafe where Rochester was having coffee with her. She proclaims that it was chance of luck I ran into them but I knew Van. The girl made luck. She wanted to join the secret society party and not just for the invites, it was for the ownership. As easily put, secret society parties are run down its successors. They are traditional Oxford- Cambridge parties. My successor was in Cambridge and then it came down to Oxford. It goes back and forth like this. One turn of the year goes to Oxford then it goes to Cambridge. Obviously, Van wants to be president next year. It's why she was costing up with Rochester who she met at a bar near Oxford where most of us usually visits. When she found out that I was getting voted as President this year, she made it her mission to butter up her way into our lives. Now we have a new position made entirely for her. The general executive manager. What's worse? I had no choice in the say. She just trooped her way in and demanded I made a new position. Since the bit of last year till now that I met her I haven't asked her about high school the other platinum members and especially Kit. Now I am standing in the balcony watching the woman who I knew since high school and feeling my fucking pants tighten like nothings changed.

I see Neil pull her by the elbow, I am about to go and grab my best friend's hand off of her when Van comes to stand by my side. "Hello President." She smirks in her Van like way. I don't bother greeting her, only snarlingly I say, "You didn't tell me Kit was here." I drink into my glass, hiding the way Kit's name tasted on my tongue. She giggled, "Oh I must have forgotten." I cut her a glare which she returns with a mocking on. "Oh come on Hunter, it's been like ages ago since you saw her. I'm sure both of you have moved on! It's not like you have feelings for her." Regretfully, she was right. I had no feelings for her even when I relaxed a little when she pulled away from Neil and started to walk upstairs - the stairs that lead to the balcony. The balcony in which I am currently standing on. I quickly peck a kiss on Van's cheek and leave her there. I cut my way through the crowd of Hunters when I notice a guy approaching her. Fuck no.