fifteen

I held tight to Jasper's hand. 

I held my breath. The current roared in my ears. Bubbles swirled around me. Light still rippled through the room, and I was surprised I could see it. Was the water getting clearer?My lungs were about to burst. Water continued to stream out of Piper's cornucopia., though there was no room for more. Would the walls crack under the pressure?

My vision went dark.I thought the roar in my ears was my own dying heartbeat. Then I realized the room was shaking. The water swirled faster. I felt myself sinking.I felt Jasper kick upward and pull me with him. My head broke the surface and I gasped for breath. The cornucopia stopped. The water was draining almost as fast as it had filled the room.

Jasper and I looked at each other. Then we broke out into smiles and laughed. 

"We survived." I said it as I couldn't believe it. 

He smiled and grabbed my face. "I love you." Then he kissed me. 

I smiled into the kiss and my hands ran through his hair. His lips were surprisingly soft. It was a  small, fleeting kiss but then turned into a more passionate, hungry kiss. We kissed each other with desperation. The passion we had both been suppressing for one another bubbled to the surface and neither of us wanted to pull apart. 

We only pulled away because Piper shot to the surface. She hoisted the two boys up.

Instantly, Percy gulped and began to thrash, but Jason was as lifeless as a rag doll. Piper clung to him. She yelled his name, shook him, and slapped his face. She barely noticed when all the water had drained away and left us on the damp floor.

"Jason!"

Jasper had his arm wrapped around me as we watched the scene unfold. 

"Is this when he.." Jasper whispered. I shook my head. This wasn't how I saw him dying but visions changed all the time.

"Piper," Percy said, "I can help."

He knelt next to her and touched Jason's forehead. Water gushed from Jason's mouth. His eyes flew open, and a clap of thunder threw Percy and Piper backward.

Jason set up, still gasping, but the color was coming back to his face.

"Sorry," he coughed. "Didn't mean to—"

Piper tackled him with a hug.

Percy grinned. "In case you're wondering, that was clean water in your lungs. I could make it come out with no problem."

"Thanks, man." Jason clasped his hand weakly. "But I think Piper's the real hero. She saved us all."Yes, she did, a voice echoed through the chamber.

The niches glowed. Nine figures appeared, but they were no longer withered creatures. They were young, beautiful nymphs in shimmering blue gowns, their glossy black curls pinned up with silver and gold brooches. Their eyes were gentle shades of blue and green.

Eight of the nymphs dissolved into vapor and floated upward. Only the nymph in the centerremained.

"Hagno?" Piper asked.

The nymph smiled. "Yes, my dear. I didn't think such selflessness existed in mortals...especially in demigods. No offense."

Percy got to his feet. "How could we take offense? You just tried to drown us and suck out our lives."

Hagno winced. "Sorry about that. I was not myself. But you have reminded me of the sun and the rain and the streams in the meadows. Percy and Jason, thanks to you, I remembered the sea and the sky. I am cleansed. But mostly, thanks to Piper. She shared something even better than clear running water." Hagno turned to her. "You have a good nature, Piper. And I'm a nature spirit. I know what I'm talking about."