Autumn's POV

Atticus just marked me. How was that even possible when we weren't even mates?

How was he able to mark me, and why does it feel this way? Why does it feel like we are mates when it simply wasn't possible? If that was true I would have recognized him as my mate a long time back. But all I've ever known was that I loved him,
nothing else.

The feelings inside of me have only intensified now that we are bonded. I wanted him more than ever. How could he do this when I was finally trying to move on? Or at least pretending that I was ready to move on.

He lifts his body completely off mine so that he can now look me straight in the eyes.

"Now everyone will know that you're fucking mine. Nothing will ever change that." He repeats.

I gape at him as he storms out of the room.

It took my body a while to get used to the bond. I was still in shock by his actions. What made Atticus mark me? He wasn't making any sense.

One minute he was running to be by Anya's side, and the next, he was calling me his. Why was he this conflicted over what he wanted?

Still, I can't deny the joy I felt knowing he refused to divorce me. It's all I wanted, a sign that showed that I should still fight for him. This was the sign I needed. If he wasn't willing to let me go, it meant that there was something between us. I hadn't imagined it. He felt it too.

I've been trying to be nice to Anya because of our past, but I was done now. The voice note was the last straw. It was clear to me now than ever how badly she wanted to end my marriage. I was not about to let that happen.

I would have been in that hospital with Atticus if I thought she was indeed injured. I didn't believe it one bit. I knew it was just Another excuse to get Atticus closer to her. It did work.

But it also gave me the courage to start fighting for my happiness. I was always so concerned about others and what made them happy. I kept doing things with consideration for everyone's feelings over mine. I wasn't going to do it anymore.

I never truly wanted to divorce Atticus. I was just angry. But now I was glad I'd done that. It made me see that he didn't want to divorce me, and it also got him to mark me.

Something that I didn't even think was possible until now.

This wasn't something that I would be able to hide.
Anyone would be able to smell him on me after today. They would know I belonged to him. Just like women would realize he belongs to me.

What possessed him to do this after always running to be by Anya's side? Why did he choose today of all days when I asked him for a divorce? Was that the way to get him to be ultimately mine? To act like I didn't want him to begin with?

The academy was resuming classes tomorrow. This meant that things were about to get twice as tricky.
Everyone at school would be keeping a close eye on us. They would be watching every little move waiting for one of us to slip up so that they could leak the information to any popular magazine.

It's not like they needed the money. only scholarship students would benefit from making money from leaking a story. The others were doing it for fun.

I force myself out of bed to look at the fresh mark on my neck. I still couldn't believe he'd done this to me.

Atticus Fawn had just marked me. This was the last thing I would ever expect from him.

I knew we were forced into this marriage by our families, but no one forced him to mark me. Atticus chose to do this out of his own free will.