Where Silver and Gold Meets

Where is he?

I look around annoyed that my brother once again had disappeared. I guess I have to fly home without him then. It is not like I need to hold Marcus hand to jump to the world of Daylight.

I have been sitting on the edge waiting for him to show up for a couple of hours. It is pretty here. The stars are making all the leaves in the trees spark like silver and the grass is swaying like silver threads in the wind. The night has something soothing in it that makes me completely relaxed. Tonight I even have the luck to see the moon, it is not completely full but it is extremely pretty.

Just a few minutes more, I don’t need to go home yet. I don’t mind to get lost here forever in this magical world.

I don’t understand why he asked me to wait here for him instead of picking me up at my friends house. We had left the world of Daylight this morning to visit our friend family but Marcus had left almost immediately.

I give my gold wings a sad look. They are glowing, just like my pearly white skin and baby pink dress. The constant reminder that I don’t belong here.

What would I not do to become a mysterious fairy like my friends with transparent wings, light grey skin and their slimmer longer bodies? They are too fragile to enter my world, the sun would burn them to death. I don’t feel sorry for them because I never want to leave the world of Night. I curse the fact that I will die if I don’t get enough sunlight.

Now where is he?

This is not the first time Marcus leaves me like this. He usually returns with a goofy grin and apologize saying he lost track of time. He should be happy I never told mom and dad. I lie to them saying he left me outside the yard to be with his friends. No need to worry our parents, I am actually ten years old!

Feeling a bit drained from energy I know I must leave. I can see the sunset in the distance from here. It is the prettiest thing in the world of Daylight and can only be seen from here. I stand up and my right foot suddenly slips on the edge touching the air and I fall down with a scream before I have no chance to regain my balance. I try to straight my wings out but I fall too fast and start to panic. I crash onto a hard stone ground and my foot get caught in a weird angle and it hurt a lot. Sobbing I know it is my only injury. I try to stand up and it is okay and I sigh with relief it is not broken but surely twisted. My wings are fine but sore after the fall.

I look up to try to figure out how far it is to reach up there, that’s when I notice the white thick fog covering everything. I can only see a few metres ahead of me and it is cold and wet. I try to fly but I don’t have enough energy to lift from the ground. It is a cliff, maybe it has a walk able way up?

I feel scared. I can’t see the sun or the night sky. What kind of world is this? My eyes are tearing up. How am I supposed to climb with an injured foot? My question is answered almost immediately as I lay my eyes on a thick stick I can use as a crutch. I crawl over the wet ground to pick it up. It is strong so it can most definetly hold me up, but I am completely covered in dirt. I will not be able to cover up for Marcus this time, I don’t know if I even will reach home!

I start walking along the cliff slowly. It hurts a lot and tears are streaming my face. As time passed they dried. My energy level didn’t sink during my painful walk but it didn’t raise either. It’s so quiet down here, it is scary. It doesn’t seem like it has any kind of life or a way up. I never wanted to fly as badly as now.

Suddenly I hear voices in the fog, laughing and playing. It sounds so happy I start to walk faster to find the source to it. Anything will be better than being alone. I finally see them in the fog, a night and a day fairy. My brother and a girl I’ve seen a few times before.

“Marcus!” I yell loud and clear and they both got stiff when they saw me.

“Ylva!” my brother yells upset. He run and take me in his arms. “Are you okay?”

His embrace warms a bit and it feels so good that he is here to save me.

“I fell!” I cry and he tries to calm me down. I see the heartbreaking guilt in his eyes.

“I am sorry Ylva, I will take you home now.”

He start flying up without saying a word to the other girl. I meet her eyes and keep looking at her till she disappears in the fog. Suddenly I understand everything. I am just ten years old but I am not stupid. Romance is forbidden between the Night and Day fairies. I can’t blame my brother for meeting someone he obviously loves.

“Don’t worry brother, I won’t tell your secret.” I whisper into his ear and turn my face to the healing sunlight as we break through the fog.

Today I learned something. That is to be happy with what I have, because it can be taken away from me so fast. I have never felt so happy to see the sun before and I am sure that I will be able to appreciate it every day from now on.

Looking at my brother I see he learned something too, but what that is I can only guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another short story to my collection, I hope you like it!!