4 | His Wound

"You remembered my words but not my face? Crazy!", He asked expressing disbelief.

"I pay attention on people's words and not on their faces!", She replied matching her gaze with him.

"To tumhe us silence ki dukan Rishi me aisa kya dikh gaya tha Jo tum usko date kar rahi thi??", He asked rolling his eyes, remembering about her ex BF of her college time.

"How do you know about him?", She asked doubtfully.

"I... I knew about everyone in the college!", he said and averted his gaze.

"sycophant!", She said looking at him.

"Tum sach me usse pyaar karti thi?? ", He asked curiously.

"Don't ask me about that brainless creature! Vo sab pyaar nahi tha.., mujhe bas apna akelapan share karna tha aur vo mujhe kabhi samajh hi nahi paya so we broke up after few months", She said cursing him and he smiled on how confidently she is talking about her ex without any hesitation. But at the same time, he was also feeling regretful since he couldn't confess to her because she was in a relationship with someone else. If he knew they would break up soon he probably would never have left.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"It's almost 10:30, Aarohi", he said looking at the time in his watch.

"Dekho... Neend aa rahi ho to apne ghar chale jao but I will never go back to that toxic house!", She said eyeing him.

"To mat jao apne ghar... Come along with me to the place where I am staying. I can't leave you alone and that too near a lake... tum paani me kood gayi to?", He said pointing towards the lake.

"I'm not the one to end my life just because I'm hurt!", She said with fearlessness in her eyes.

"Aarohi, let's go", he said getting up and offering his hand to her. She held it and got up. She kept her foot on her lehenga and wobbled. At the same time, her chunari slipped down and she got frustrated.

"May I help you?", He asked as he looked at her tired face.

"Please!", She requested and he went closer to her. He pinned up the chunari and held her lehenga, making it easy for her to walk properly.

She looked at him with a sense of affection in her eyes and when he looked back at her, she averted her gaze. For the first time in her life, she felt like she had a shoulder to cry on and could share her thoughts with him.

Although she hated being helped by anyone, she couldn't deny his help because he was not doing her a favor or pity but was just concerned about her.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"You are going back to Delhi tomorrow??", She said feeling unhappy of his words, not understanding the reason for that.

"Haa kuch important kaam tha yaha kal mai vapas jaa raha hu.", He replied keeping his clothes in the bag. He wanted her to stop him.

"Can I ask you something?", She asked going towards him and he nodded.

"Why did you help me so much? You were with me the whole day today, supported me so much and now also giving me a place to stay... we're not even friends!", She said and he suddenly paused.

The thing that he considers her as his love and she doesn't even consider him as her friend, broke him to the core.

Although the answer of her question was that he consider her as his reason to smile, his hope to live but there was another answer of this question too.

He smiled turning at her as she was waiting for his answer.

He went and sat beside her and said, "Aarohi... Mera poora childhood sirf mere parents ki ladaiya dekhte huye nikla hai... Whenever I heard fighting and yelling sounds, I used to run to my room and find escape in my books."