no breaks (l.h)

Third period was starting and we were down by 3 to Alabama. 1-4 is not how we want to end this game. The boys team was sitting in the front row stands, talking and pointing at the ice. They were talking loud enough so I was able to hear them from the bench.

"I don't know, man. I think she should have more time tonight." Ethan stated.

"For real. She's captain too, people want to see her more than anyone else." Luca agreed.

I wasn't the biggest fan of that comment, but they were right about one thing. I needed more time tonight. Coach had switched me from the first line to the fourth. She had explained to me that she wanted to see more of the other players since she already knew what I could do.

After some debate, I called Coach over. She was already frustrated that our one goal had come from an own goal, not us.

"What?" She asked, obviously irritated.

I looked up at her, "Put me in. I can get us at least two goals."

It was mostly my ego speaking, but I'd been observing from the bench long enough to recognize what they did. The defense pushed up quite high and was slow to get back. And their forwards weren't really my problem. They were clumsy.

She looked down at me, took a second to think, then smacked my back. "Go for 3."

"Nicole! Come here!" She yelled.

Nicole was not happy, but skated over to the bench, allowing me to come onto the ice. We had switched out after a penalty, so I took the face off against Alabama.

The girl looked at me, "Crazy you wear the 'C' but you've barely been on."

I scoffed, trying not to get upset, but she kept talking. "They should really give it to someone else. Someone better than you."

The ref dropped the puck, not letting me respond. My stick hit the puck first, giving me the chance to pass it back to our defense.

I skated towards the edge, making myself open. The puck found its way to me soon enough. I turned  and skated rapidly towards the net. Cutting through their defense easily, I was able to get a nice shot off, placing it perfectly towards the top of the net.

The blaring siren filled the arena along with cheers from the audience. I skated towards the bench, getting high-fives from everyone before being trampled by my team on the ice.

"Goal! Scored by the sophomore center, Y/n L/n!" The announcer exclaimed.

~~~

There were 3 minutes left on the clock, and I had managed to tie the game up 4-4. I had been able to get around 5 minutes to recover, but I was thrown back onto the ice after a few close calls.

I was starting to feel the exhaustion get to me when I had to chase a puck. My head started spinning and my vision was getting blurry.

This didn't go unnoticed by Liv. Alabama had asked for a timeout allowing me to catch my breath. I panted towards the bench, took off my gloves and helmet, then pretty much drowned myself in water.

"Y/n, if you need a break take it. As long as we don't let them score we can go into OT." She explained, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head, "No. There's no reason for us to go into overtime against them. We just need to pull ourselves together."

Coach walked over to us, "Second line is going out.", she pointed at me, "You're staying on."

Liv's face turned into one of surprise, "No way, look at her! She's clearly exhausted."