Chapter 3 - Family History

Kate and Yelena passed through the prison's metal detector and taking off their shoes. It had been over a year since Kate had last visited her mother. The entire drive there was spent in silence, rare for the two close friends. Kate remembered the night Yelena sent her the text informing her that Eleanor was behind the contract taken out against Clint Barton. At first, she refused to believe that her own mother could plot the murder of another human being, especially someone of Barton's renown. But the revelation that she was a senior member of the Mob and responsible for the deaths of dozens disgusted her. Kate who now lived with the Barton's and was under consideration for the Avengers was on the point of severing all ties with her mother. Her allegiance was to the United States, her friends and to the Barton family. Kate picked up her keys and phone and put them in her coat pocket. She and Yelena proceeded to the visitor area where behind bulletproof glass sat her mother. Despite spending two years in prison, her mother looked well and healthy. However, she sported a black eye and massive bruise on her temple. Eleanor's eyes beamed at seeing her daughter for the first time in over a year. Kate gasped and ran forward and sat in the chair and picked up the phone.

"Mom, are you okay? What happened? Who did this to you? I'm calling your lawyer and having you moved" Kate angrily snarled Yelena joining her friend sitting next to her.

"Look at you Kate. You look so strong and healthy. Clearly your training is paying off. Are you seeing anyone" Eleanor asked ignoring her daughter's questions.

"Seriously Mom! Anyone with eyes can clearly see you were assaulted. Was it someone associated with your old friends" Kate demanded. "Did they send someone to make sure you didn't talk to the DA?"

Eleanor glanced at Yelena and looked around her nervously. Both Kate and Yelena could tell that the former businesswoman was afraid. It looked as if that she was seeing if someone was listening in to the conversation or was watching her. The guard Eleanor kept looking at in the corner seemed bored and didn't want to be there. It made Kate wonder was the secret her mother and father kept from her so dangerous that it was worth silencing Eleanor. Yelena picked up the second phone and put it to her ear.

"No. My old associates did not send someone. It was an Assassin" Eleanor whispered half looking over her shoulder.

"Seriously mother. Only the mob would want you dead. What do you know that they do not want you telling the DA?"

"I went to prison to protect you and because of my true loyalties. My allegiance was never to organized crime. It was my cover to finance the operations of the Order I am key member of" Eleanor answered cryptically.

"I know every assassin in the world because to be frank I am one" Yelena said entering the conversation skeptical of what Eleanor was telling them. "There are no open contracts out for you. I get the newsletter."

"Yelena, you may be a Widow and your skills second to none. No one better at taking out their target and toppling governments. However, the Red Room did not corner the market on assassins nor invent them. What do you know of the Assassin Brotherhood?"

Yelena laughed and pulled the phone away from her ear. Kate looked at her friend and could not figure out what was so funny. Someone had physically attacked her mother and Yelena was laughing. Yelena finally stopped laughing and put the phone back to her ear.

"The Assassin Brotherhood? Truly? So, you are trying to tell us that a follower of a mythical sect assaulted you in prison last night? Next you are going to tell us that you are a member of the Illuminati" Yelena answered mockingly.