Ch. 5

I moved about my new chambers, the dress clinging tighter with every step, creating an oppressive atmosphere as if the very air seemed to be dissipating. The room, though spacious, seemed to close in on me with its various lavender hues, intensifying the unease, exacerbated by the lingering scent of my own perfume.

Gasping for air, I paced relentlessly, the dress becoming a confining force. In a desperate attempt, I tugged at the fabric, seeking relief. The grand doors swung open, and two sisters hurried in with basins and towels, swiftly preparing a bath. Muffled instructions passed between them, accompanied by the arrival of other servants carrying hefty wooden chests. "Your clothes, my lady," they bowed before making a hasty exit.

The sight of the neatly folded dresses stirred a mixture of emotions within me, my brow furrowing in confusion as curiosity led me to inspect the contents of the chest. Each garment lay folded with precision, a silent reminder of my new reality settling in.

"Isabel?" The soft voice sliced through the air, causing me to whirl around on my heels, my gaze fixating on her figure.

"Maggie!" With a surge of emotion, I rushed toward her, enveloping her in a tight embrace as she reciprocated with gentle arms, her soft laughter ringing in the air. As I pulled back, studying her radiant expression, a pang of longing for our mother's presence tugged at my heartstrings.

"I'll find a way out of this, I promise," I murmured earnestly. Her gaze darted to the bustling attendants around us, prompting her to close the door behind her and draw me deeper into the chamber.

"Enough with that," she admonished, her voice firm yet comforting. "This is good." Her words hung in the air, wrapping around me like a shroud of confusion and disbelief. I couldn't help but furrow my brow, feeling a surge of indignation rising within me.

"You're the future Queen, Izzy!" Her words echoed in the chamber, accompanied by a radiant smile that seemed to illuminate the room. As I paced backward in shock, her enthusiasm clashed with the turmoil swirling inside me. I stole a glance at the waiting ladies, their movements fluid and precise as they attended to their tasks. Despite their outward composure, I knew they were listening intently. In the world of the royal court, the walls could hear even the faintest whispers.

"He's a monster, Maggie," I whispered, the weight of my words heavy in the stillness of the room. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes as I stood frozen in the center of the chamber, my vulnerability laid bare. In that moment, I couldn't shake the overwhelming sense of apprehension that consumed me, the daunting prospect of a life bound to the Bastard King.

Before I could utter another word, the unmistakable sound of footsteps reverberated through the chamber, drawing our attention to the door where Kieran stood. His towering figure almost eclipsed the entrance, commanding authority as he motioned for the waiting ladies to depart, "Leave us." With hurried bows, they hastened out of the room, leaving the three of us to ourselves. As he closed the door behind them, a heavy silence descended, punctuated only by the rhythmic beating of our hearts.

With outstretched arms, Kieran welcomed us into his embrace, a refuge in the uncertainty that surrounded us. Maggie and I found solace in his strength, our worries momentarily eased by his presence. "By the gods, I'm relieved you two are alright," he murmured, his voice tinged with palpable relief.

As we nestled against him, Maggie's voice trembled. "Edward and Finnan... are they...?" Her words trailed off, heavy with apprehension, as we waited with bated breath for Kieran's response.

A shadow darkened Kieran's features, a mask of anguish and uncertainty descending upon him. "I don't know," he confessed, his voice tinged with frustration. "They won't tell me anything."