Chapter 1

"Mills!" Brian called walking through the door expecting the 4 year old to come running into his arms, but she didn't

"Milly!" He called again, walking down the hall to her room. She was lying on her bed sobbing, her brown puppy toy, tightly in her grip.

"Hey, baby, what's the matter?" He asked his sister gently. She sat up looking up at him with her bright blue eyes, that's when Brian saw the red mark on her cheek already starting to bruise.

"Milly." He said gently "did dad hit you again?"

"Yes." She sobbed through tears

"Do you know why he hit you?" Brian asked anger growing inside of him, there was no reason to hit a child. 3 months he'd been trying to get custody of her, but no, because couldn't afford to look after a child. but he had had enough he was going to get Milly out of here.

"I spilt juice." She managed to get out through tears. Brian pulled her in close.

"It's going to be ok." He said "he's not going to hurt you any more. you stay in your room ok." He added standing up

"Were are you going?" She asked

"To give dad a piece of my mind." Brian said, Milly nodded knowing what he meant, this happened most nights, Brian would yell at there father, and he'd yell back.

"I come home everyday with no food to eat, a son who's never home, and a worthless mistake of a daughter who's good for what! Nothing!" There father complained

There mum rushed over to Mr O'Conner
"Honey, stop." She tried

"Well you wouldn't have that problem if you were home and if you were a good father! You come home drunk! Every night! While I bust my ass of at work, and look after my sister." Mr O'Conner become furious and comes up to Brian's face.

"Listen here boy! You mean nothing to me! You are worthless and I wish you were never born, your sister is about the same!"
Brian stood there pissed off, but looked to his mum, She was just standing there with her head down and didn't say a thing.

"So what! Your just gonna let him talk to me like that?!" Brian yells to her.

She just ignores him and keeps her head down. Brian steps forward and shoves his dad, and he stumbles backwards.

"You know what?! I've had enough of your bullshit!" Brian yells, he then turns to his mum and continues  "And you! I thought I could count on you! Guess not since you wanna stand by that bastard that you call your husband! Did you notice the bruise he put on his daughters cheek, or did you just look away and act like it didn't happen?"

Mr O'Conner puts his hands up in serenade and stomps outside, a beer in his hand. Brian turns in the opposite direction heading back to Milly's room.

"You ok?" Brian asked going to her cupboard, beginning to pull out cloths throwing them into a bag.

"Yeah." Milly said "what're you doing?"

"We leaving." Brian replied putting the bag on one arm, scooping Milly up with his other, before going to his own room, grabbing some clothes.

"What do you think your doing?" Mr O'Conner questioned from his spot on the chair out the front of the house

"Go get in the car." Brian said to Milly placing her down, Milly runs down to the car pulling the door open climbing in.

"if I were you, I'd go back in that house, before I give myself a reason to arrest you. And don't bother looking for me or Milly, cause we're leaving." Brian finishes and walks over to the car, pulling open Milly's door. "You all strapped in?" She shook her head, Brian pulled the straps over Milly clipping her into the car seat, before climbing into the drivers side, and driving off.