xxvi. Outlaws.

chapter twenty six

season one.

"OKAY, SO, BAD NEWS

"OKAY, SO, BAD NEWS." Pope comes trundling back over to the car with a frantic look in his eyes. "The ferry's closed, and there's this." He hands a piece of paper through Kiara's open window.

She takes it, looks down, and then passes it into the backseat.

"What is that? What is this?" John B asks, remaining in a reclined position so nobody outside can point him out.

JJ observes the poster, and Judy peers down at it too, the colour draining from her face. "Well, John B, uh... this is a good frame of you." He flips it around so he can see it for himself.

His face is plastered across the centre of the page, with 'WANTED' written in big, bold letters at the top. $25,000 reward.

Holy fucking shit.

Suddenly, it's becoming very real. And Judy feels sick to her stomach. Somehow, her brother is managing to hold his composure better than she is, simply tsking in acknowledgement at his name on the paper.

"Okay, so the whole island's lookin' for John B right now." Pope states, having returned to his seat. This time, he's behind the wheel.

"That's a lot of money." Kie's gaze snaps between them all.

"Congratulations, John B. You're now famous." JJ lays the poster down gently on his friend's clothed stomach.

A sour taste develops in the back of Judy's throat, and she has no choice but to swallow it back and hold herself together.

"Guys, we got to get to the HMS. We need small, no running lights—"

"It's at the Chateau, Kie."

"And I wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out. Let me think... oh yeah, no, they definitely have that place locked down." JJ retorts, sarcastically.

"Yeah, copy that." Kiara rolls her eyes.

"Let me think, let me think. Just give me a second, just give me a second." Wafting his hands, Pope's brain works at an explicably fast pace, and comes up with a new idea almost instantly. "JJ."

"What?"

He twists around in his seat. "Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom, the one he used to race."