𝘛𝘪𝘤𝘤𝘪-𝘛𝘰𝘣𝘺

I hate this school. The only thing worse than the work is the people that go here. They all like to call me 'Ticci-Toby' because of my disorders. My disorders have gotten even worse since Lyra died... No matter how quiet I am they always find a way to pick on me or tease me. I hate everyone here and I-

"Rogers" Said the teacher in a stern tone as she tapped on the desk with a ruler, "This is no time to sleep". Toby startled awake and pulled his head up from his crossed arms, looking around groggily. A few snickers came from some of his peers as they peeked over, whispering rude comments to each other.

Toby rubbed his sleepless eyes and rested his head on his palm with his elbow on the desk. A tic jerked his head to the side, making his neck pop. The teacher continued on with the lecture over a complicated math problem, which didn't make Toby any more awake. His mind wandered into a daydream that had nothing to do with math, until it was rudely intrupted.

"Psst, Hey..." Y/n whispered from a desk over. Toby's eyes snapped over to her, expecting some sort of joke or tease about him.

"Do you have the notes from yesterday? I wasn't here.." She said quietly. Toby took a moment to comprehend if she was being genuine or not, but when he saw that no one was giggiling around him, he was a bit surprised. Even though she was a newer student, Y/n was very well liked. She always looked nice, got invited to everything, and was smart too. Toby started to feel a little more anxious than before.

"Y-Yeah.." Toby said, digging into his folder and pulling out a sheet of notebook paper with a few formulas. He offered the paper over with a bandaged hand. Y/n gently took the paper with a smile.

"Thanks" she said in return, setting the paper down next to her's to copy it down. Toby's stomach swirled in confusion. Was this really not some cruel trick? Or was she just being nice out of pity? Toby looked away, not wanting to stare and make things more awkward. Toby wanted to believe she was being nice to him, but something inside wouldn't let him trust her.

The bell rung loudly and everyone stood up and started to leave the classroom. Toby stood up as well and grabbed his things quickly, walking out after everybody else. Y/n took Toby's notes, holding it in her hand along with her own notes. She was about to give it back to him, but he was already out of the classroom.

She looked down at the paper and read his name, "Tobias..." she said softly to herself. She grabbed her binder and walked out of the classroom. There were people talking and laughing to each other as they made their way to their next class. Some people were hanging up decorations and fliers for winter homecoming, but there was no sign of Toby.

Y/n walked down the hallway with a sigh and went to her locker. She was hoping that she could have given the paper back now. Her friend Maddie came up to her and bumped into her playfully.

"Hey! So... wanna skip the rest of the day? We could go get coffee instead" Maddie said in her usual bubbly voice. Maddie was the first friend Y/n made that this school. Maddie was the type of girl to know all the drama, and somehow all the guys. She wasn't the nicest person, even if she said she was. Maddie always wears clothes to show off her attributes, but a friend was a friend, so Y/n had to stick with her. Y/n shook her head, opening her locker door.

"I can't today, I already missed a lot because I wasn't here yesterday" Y/n said, putting away her binder and taking out some cash for lunch. Maddie rolled her eyes.

"Bummer..." Maddie said, using the mirror in Y/n's locker to reapply her lip gloss. Maddie's eyes flicked over to the Toby's paper, "Uhh... Why do you have that?" She asked, her voice a tad judgemental. Y/n looked at the paper.