Chapter 4

Suddenly, he heard a faint sizzling noise. At first, Skod froze, but after realizing it wasn't an enemy coming after him, he walked towards the sound, a little faster, wanting nothing but to get out of this creepy corridor. And to start a storm outside, of course. When the noise got loud enough so that Skod could tell he was right next to the source, blue light shining under the door, he cautiously turned the knob and entered that room, only peeking his head in. It wasn't a room. In fact, it was a closet with multiple shelves. Skod tried not to scream at the amount of spiders and other bugs hidden on every surface. There were also large black specks that had a similar aura to the Lemon Demon, but much weaker. The sight of them calmed the young boy a bit. Skod noticed a single battery near a cluster of these black specks. A crazy coincidence? Was this the Lemon Demon's doing? It must have been him. Relieved to finally be able to get back to the safety of the stairway's underspace, Skod snatched the battery from the still specks with a smile, whispering a soft "thank you" before running down the way he came.

"Took you long enough," Psump grumbled, rolling his eyes. "Yeah? Next time you try searching a huge-ass mansion for one single battery," said Skod defensively. "You don't know what I did to get those tears." "You don't know what I had to go through in those twisted hallways!" "Shut up and fork over the battery!" the Lemon Demon screeched, causing the two to jump. "Didn't you say the humans are leaving? We must keep them contained!" "The humans are leaving?" Skod thought, but dropped the battery in the hate monster's sharp claws without questioning it. He also didn't question how Psump was completely dark purple, how there were several pink rings around his small dotted eyes, how his fingertips had pink paint splashed on them, almost like the essence of the hate monster's blood, how his teeth, highlighted the same bright pink, formed a sharp smile that sent shivers down Skod's spine. He trusted the Lemon Demon, and he figured this was all his doing. He looked down at his own hands. His nails, grown into claws. His fingertips, pale red blood splattered - highlighted pink. The skin, a deep purple, almost black, practically translucent. "Who have we become?" It was a small voice in his head, but those four words echoed through his mind. "Who have we become?" His lips ghosted over the words, though the Lemon Demon heard him. The monster took strong control of Skod once again, taking out all self-doubt. "I know who I've become," thought Skod. "I've become more stronger and powerful than I would have before I met my leader."

The hate monster felt electricity course through his root veins, building up pressure, his pink mist fizzling into bubbles as the roaring flame continued to grow in size and power. "Don't tear a whole in my roof. Get him outside, now!" the Lemon Demon commanded. Psump used his small dark magic spell from earlier to forge a connection to the hate monster by holding his hand. Skod did the same while holding his other hand, and the three of them ran to the exit. They knew the front part of the mansion much better than the humans, that was for sure. They got to the door in a matter of minutes, while the humans were only getting to the nearest hill. "Now," the Lemon Demon hissed, his chilling voice enough fuel to set off the explosion. The king of lightning's flames shot up in the air in a blast of magic, making a hole in the clouds above. Skod and Psump worked together to form a magical barrier hiding the peculiar sight from the humans. The downpour got heavier. Light flashed inside the dark, gray clouds, striking the earth with a loud boom. Skod and Psump could see the painter having a meltdown, while the dangerous thug tried desperately to hide from the rain, from the thunder, from all of his problems in the world. But he was merely human - there was no way for them to escape the Lemon Demon once the had been chosen as targets. Skod, Psump, and the hate monster ran inside so they wouldn't get soaked and so they could hide in the darkness while waiting for the humans to come back. And come back they did, forced to take shelter in the abandoned mansion. The singer felt like he was back home almost, with the amount of heart attacks he had been given that night - the rebel was angry at himself for not being able to protect his boyfriend. Skod and Psump did a high-five and turned to the hate monster to admire his work, but he was gone. The wondrous illusion had fizzled away, leaving a small puddle of bubbling liquid, almost like the contents of a shaken soda can. "Now, wasn't that fun?" the Lemon Demon maniacally laughed. The Halloween duo looked at each other before simultaneously replying, "Yes!" "Then come along, boys.

"Our fun doesn't stop here."

The Lemon Demon reenacted the wheel of misfortune and waved a hand, gesturing for the next person to take a turn. Skod and Psump looked at each other. "I came here faster than you, I get to go first," said Psump, pushing his friend as he walked forward. But he did it with a lot of force, so much that Skod ended up falling backwards. "Hey!" Psump didn't turn back. Instead, he spun the wheel without even uttering an apology, his purple back turned to Skod. Skod felt confused and a little hurt, though his brain refused to accept the latter. This time, the dial did not land on the annoying picture of the Lemon Demon which meant your turn would be skipped. No, this time, the dial chose a deep red slice with a heart, split apart, cracked along the edges, a sign they were once together. "Ah, 4, maroon. If there are matchmakers, there are heartbreakers," the Lemon Demon grinned once the wheel stopped spinning. Skod was the first one to figure it out. "You don't mean...?" The demon's smile only grew wider. "I want you to help those humans forget about each other.

"I want you to make sure they forget the meaning of love."

The humans were now fully awake, huddled together for warmth, as the rain shower had severely decreased the temperature outside. With all the gaps in the crumbling wooden walls, the cold air was flowing into the abandoned building like their own personal air conditioner. They didn't appreciate this free appliance though. At this point, Benjamin was wondering why he had run away from home - anything was better than this current situation. Picon had felt on edge since the first time they had entered the mansion a few days ago. There was something wrong with the hideout, a strange feeling he couldn't place. Two creepy kids, one of them wearing a mask, going after them for some reason? And then a sudden lightning storm? Picon hugged Benjamin closer, able to do nothing but to wish it all away.

"They're awake. Perfect," Psump chuckled, spying on the humans from behind a wall. Skod was right beside him. "Hey Psump, before we do this..." "Hmm?" "Have you noticed what's...happening with you? Like, you've kinda changed colors..." Psump looked down at himself, his cheerful mood still present. "Huh. Interesting. Have you checked a mirror lately?" he turned around to continue looking at the humans. Skod faced the mirror on the wall in front of him. It was incredibly old, the glass chipped, cracks along the edges, dust smudging it's once-clear frame, but Skod could still see his own reflection. It was like someone had forced a mask over his head without his consent, his smile a bright pink smile with jagged edges like a jack-o'-lantern's, thought glowing with dark magic rather than by candelight, bright pink x's where his round eyes used to be. For some reason, he felt like laughing at himself. He didn't know why, but something about the new look was so...appealing. Attractive. Enchanting. "Let's go. Masks on," said Psump. "I'm already wearing one," Skod thought, a thought that was quickly pushed out by the controlling spell over him. The Halloween duo slipped their spooky halloween masks over their faces. Then they jumped out, screaming boo at the exact same time. The targeted painter screamed yet again before another wave of sobs racked his body. This time, Picon was beyond angry. But he couldn't do anything because he had left his weapons at the train station. Instead, he pulled his trembling boyfriend impossibly closer, aiming his graffiti can at the intruders again. "I'll get green, you get blue," Psump muttered, his voice barely audible over the pounding rain and lightning. Skod nodded, understanding the plan, getting in a stance. Picon was starting to worry, but he tried not to let it show, swallowing hard. "Go," the Lemon Demon whispered, and on his cue the two kids ran at an alarmingly fast speed towards the humans.