31

31

3Rd POV.

Kieran and Kyle are busy with their men, having gone to check out the formation that their commanders have prepared for the war before this evening.

The war is happening today, and Kade couldn’t be more ready. He’s not the type who’s very interested in war, but he has no tolerance for when, regardless of who you are, you do not respond to his orders.

He’s very keen on that.

He drinks from the cup of coffee in his hands, his eyes directed towards the hill down the valley up ahead. His sight watches the beauty of the afternoon brilliant sun, lightening up the greenery of the moss.

He is reminded of something at the back of his head, which causes his forehead to wrinkle.

Kaya.

He remembers the little toy he and his brothers have been sharing for quite a few months now. They’ve been very busy preparing for the war, aiming at winning over Alaric’s pack to have claimed it before this moment the next day that he’s practically forgotten about their precious toy thing.

Dropping the cup on a table, he walks out of the room to the dungeon. He’s gained information a few days ago, perhaps two nights ago, that his mother had her locked away in one of the worse cells, so he just leads himself there.

In the hallway, there appears to be his mother. “oh, fuck...” He murmurs under his breath before he raises his face to smile.

“Oh, do not act like you really did care to see me, Alpha Kade.” His mother begins with humour.

He chuckles lightly before he places his hands on his back, “humour does fit you, mother. I think you and Kyle should be talking more often,” then, watching her from the corner of his eyes.

Her laugh doesn’t reach her eyes, but it fills the empty hallway, “you’re funny too.”

A moment of silence passes by them, neither of them vomiting a word until his mother speaks out anyway.

“Should I tell you something I’ve never told any of you before?” He clears his throat, knowing that he cares less whether she spills whatever she has inside or not.

“Well, go ahead.”

“When the three of you were very young, at an age where you haven’t turned into the beautiful man that you are now, I used to think that Kieran was going to the Alpha.” In a coincidence, his eyes and his mother’s meet in a glance before he scoffs softly, keeping mute so she can continue.

“It really wasn’t my fault. I mean, you’re the eldest born, but you’re very calm, collective, unmindful, and silent. I thought those weren’t the quality of a predator, but then there’s Kieran, the actual predator—vile, more venomous, eager to cause malice and ruin. Well, then, we can’t control how things turn out sometimes, and you turned out to be the Alpha.”

It takes Kade a few minutes for him to speak. “Indeed, you were wrong mother with the wrong mentality, even till now. The quality of being a leader—an Alpha—doesn’t lie in a lack of patience and eagerness to destroy things. I am able to link our minds through my act of muteness. Do you want to know the greatest weapon ever?” Kade chuckles lightly before he ends, “it’s silence.”

“I’ll see you later, mother.” With that, he walks away, disappearing before she can utter another word.

Kade finds him sooner than later in the dungeon, the smell hitting him hard in the stomach. However, he pauses his breathing while his eyes wander from one cell to the next, and then he hears a sound.