003. Welcome To The Fourth Wing

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.      ✷ welcome to the fourth wing.

NEVER SHOW A DRAGON FEAR. IF THEY SENSE IT, THEY'LL KILL YOU. IT'S ALL PART OF THEIR PLAN TO ELIMINATE THE WEAKEST LINK.

— COLONEL KAORI'S FIELD
GUIDE TO DRAGONKIND

Standing around waiting for something to happen has never been her strong suit. If there is one common denominator throughout her household; they aren't patient. Even her father, as great of a strategist as he is, has a hard time sitting still when there is stuff that needs to be done. Her mother has the best patience of them all, Cyprus second, and Niamh is dead last. She's always fidgeting or pacing or combing through her hair (which she can't do anymore since she's already fixed her braid three times and people are starting to judge).

         Conscription day is nearly over, and there is a noticeable difference in size between the candidates who were in line to cross and the cadets who came out. The ache in her chest still hasn't soothed from when she nearly became a name on the death scroll. Somewhere along the way she lost Liam when Dain Aetos approached her and he ran off while she was talking. Now, she stands by Dain as he talks with a girl she's never seen before—Amber, she thinks her name is. They clearly know each other, causing Niamh to feel like a third wheel in the situation.

She taps her bicep as she scans the yard. Maybe if she looks hard enough she'll spot someone she recognizes. Who knows, maybe Violet miraculously made it across in a stroke of luck. Then again, she can't exactly be one to judge. She figured she'd make it with no problem and ended up falling before the halfway mark. Thank the Gods for Liam and his impeccable balance.

Almost as if it's on cue, she spots a tuft of silver hair poking through the crowd. She's near the steps, speaking with another girl. She has brown hair worn in braids and dark skin that glows beautifully in the sun. It's only been light for a few minutes now. There was a storm that had her taking shelter underneath Dain's flight jacket for maybe ten minutes or so. Nothing too bad, just a little wind and rain. By the looks of it, Violet had an encounter with the storm as well. In fact, she looks like she got the worst of it.

"Aetos," Niamh says as she taps his arm with the back of her hand.

"Hm," He looks at her for half a second before diverting his attention to Amber again, then back to Niamh when he realizes who it is she's looking at. Niamh might not be his friend, but she knows Violet is. Dain's mouth hangs open slightly before he turns to Amber, "I'll be back."

She scoffs as he steps away, her eyes narrowing on the two girls. Niamh smirks as she says, "No he won't." Then takes off following behind him.