ᴘɪɴᴇ-ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

-Gabriella, 18-

Walking around our motel room's pathetic excuse of a kitchen felt like wading through syrup. Perhaps the run last night wasn't such a good idea, seeing as I was a terrible sleeper anyway and often found myself waking up at regular intervals from nightmares or feeling restless. Thankfully, I knew this horrible exhausted feeling would fade within the hour, or even less time if I managed to get some food in me and do some stretches.

"Morning, sunshine." Lex exited the little bathroom, and looked me up and down. I was dressed in an old t-shirt and a ratty pair of pink shorts (the shorts were only because I was sharing a room with her), and I had no doubt that the run last night had turned my hair into a lion's mane of tangles and frizz. I probably had under-eyes dark enough to compete with a panda, too. "Well, don't you just look bright and eager to get going!"

I rolled my eyes at her with a small smile, and grabbed the protein shake I had kept on the counter, as well as a banana, and some protein bar that tasted like road grit and boredom. I usually inhaled my insane amount of food after my races were over, and Lex knew this, so she didn't pressure me to make myself porridge or anything.

Grabbing herself a whole box of sugary cereal to pick at and a tall glass of water, Lex joined me in sitting on our motel room's sofa.

"Nervous?" She asked.

"I'm all good. Once I get myself dressed and ready, I'll be in the mindset." I chomped on the banana, washing down my mouthfuls with the protein shake. "Just don't wanna let Jess down." I referred to our coach.

"Like you ever could." Lex snorted. "You're her darling angel poster child."

I finished up breakfast, and headed into the little bathroom, grabbing a fresh set of running gear on my way in. I got dressed in front of the horrible plastic motel mirror- the sort that warps your reflection like the ones at a carnival. Despite the warping, I was still able to see and critique my body with ease. I'd mostly grown into my features now, and stood at 5'8, so things like my hips looked much more in proportion. From all the running I had done over the past couple months, I'd lost quite a bit of weight, and gained some muscle instead... Yet I still had some pudge on my stomach, arms, and thighs. It just refused to budge, no matter what I tried. And despite rather liking my curves now, I still felt that they made me look fat compared to the athletes I competed with and against. Jesus, I even got complimented regularly on my hair, but it got frizzy and unruly so often that sometimes I just wished it was pin straight, or at least wavy like Alexia's.

It seemed some things never changed, no matter how hard I tried to control them, and disliking the way I looked was just one of those things. I could skip meals all I wanted, run track until I felt close to death, but my body kept itself in this shape regardless.

I quickly pulled on my sports bra, underwear, top, shorts, socks, running shoes, and fleece jacket (not that I particularly needed it to keep warm), looking away from my body's reflection so I could brush my teeth and do my skincare and makeup. I quickly pulled my hair into a bun, and secured it with several pins and thick hair ties so it wouldn't fall out of place as I ran. I let out a deep breath once I was finished. I always felt so much better when I was dressed properly and had my makeup on. It was like my armor, of sorts.

"Good to go?" Alexia called from outside.

"Coming!" I called, plastering on a smile, and quickly did my business before washing my hands and stepping outside the bathroom where she was waiting for me. She already had my backpack slung over her shoulder, with my towel, and water bottle, and post-race snacks inside.

We exited our motel room and met the other runners from our Uni downstairs. There were 2 or 3 other schools also mingling about, scoffing the last of their breakfasts and getting pep talks from their coaches.