I I / I V | Full Circle

"I've tried everything," I tell Tobi as we try our hardest to keep walking in a straight line with all the trees and roots. "I keep going in circles. Pretty sure I passed your body five thousand and three million and five hundred times. I couldn't even find the road leading to the circus."

"You're not letting that go, are you?" Tobi rolls his eyes as I chuckle. "Even though I'm beyond the grave?" He sighs and mumbles, "I almost die and that's what ya remember." He shakes his head, then frowns. "Wait, what does that even mean? How long have you been out here?"

"Uh. Since, like, noon?"

He gives me a quick side glance. "It took her less than an hour to find me."

"Damn, you suck."

"And guess who's counting on me to keep their ass intact now?"

"A grave mistake."

"Yes!" Tobi throws his hands up as he turns to me. "That's what I been tryna tell ya. You should put me back in the ground where I belong."

I nod slowly. "Bet. I'ma do that... soon as you get me outta here."

He snorts. Something white flies out of his nose and splatters on the ground. A maggot wriggles in the dirt between us. "Oh, thank the lord, shit's been bugging me since I woke up." He looks up at me when I fail to suppress a gag. "You definitely going to Hell, Jey."

I shrug. "At least I know I'll meet you there."

"Wait, what the fuck?" Before I can figure out what he's going on about, he leaves our path, veering left.

I follow him and almost wish I hadn't. Dick boulder again. "What the—You led me right back here!" With the sun now sunk beyond the treetops, the clearing is cast in a shadow.

Tobi walks around the boulder, inspecting it, then turns to take in our surroundings. "This is fuckin' impossible."

I lean against the boulder, questioning why I would ever hope Tobi of all people could save my life. "I can't believe you."

"I can't believe me either. We were heading in a straight line—"

"Obviously not."

"Shut up," he says.

"I should—"

He holds up a finger. "Shut up, Jey."

I sigh and obey the command—though, I should be the one ordering him around, right? Being the necromancer and all. I'm about to point that out to him when he slaps his hand over my mouth. I shove him away but the rotting smell has already stabbed through my nasal cavity. It takes all I have in me not to throw up. He puts his index finger over his lips and then points to his ear. I strain to hear anything other than the wind rustling the leaves. Aside from the buzzing in my head, I hear nothing. I shake my head at him.

"You don't hear it?"

"Pretty sure that's what—" I shake my head again. "—means."

"It's almost like..." He trails off, shrugging. "Man, I be hearin' things." He twirls his finger by his ear. "Them maggots workin' they magic in there."

Could it be? "Buzzing?"

"So you do hear it!" Tobi shoves me and I stay on my feet thanks to the dick boulder supporting most of my weight. "Jackass. Why would you say you don't hear it if you do?"

"I thought it was in my head, Deadass."

He looks around and groans. "I think she has a curse on us. Either us or the land."