18.

"are you okay?" yn asked, stopping kuroo in the middle of a step.

he didn't even saw her around, but he wasn't paying attention to anything today.

it was not difficult to see that something was wrong with kuroo. he wasn't joking around every time yn saw him in the hallway, he was just walking to another classroom, not looking at anything around him, yaku wasn't anywhere near, and yn knew he was at school because he started greeting her every day, as if they were friends, maybe they were, but it doesn't matter, kuroo just looked different that day.

but maybe yn was just overthinking it, years of trying to figure out how everyone else felt, to ensure that everyone (who she cared about) was okay, did that to a person.

yuuto's unprompted concern was what convinced her that she wasn't imagining things. she didn't say anything about kuroo when her younger brother decided to sit with her during the lunch break instead of with his team, why would she? yuuto said kuroo did not want to eat with them that day and that it felt strange without him there, which was followed by his own concern that kuroo seemed off today.

she could simply let him be. everybody had bad days.

that was the plan: let him be and maybe text him later to see how he's doing. imagine how surprised yn was when she grabbed his elbow to stop him from leaving school after their classes had ended.

"yeah," he said, trying to give her a reassuring smile, as yn let go of him, disappointed by his fake response.

"if you don't want to talk about it, it's fine, i won't push, but don't lie to me, okay?"

kuroo took a deep breath and hung his head down, feeling a little embarrassed that it was so obvious on his face that he was having a bad day. before packing it back into her bag, yn checked the hour on her phone. 

"let's go for a walk."

"a walk?" he asked, furrowing his brow. the weather was pleasant, ideal for a walk, but he didn't expect to hear from yn.

"yeah, let's go," she said, nodding and taking a few steps in a direction that wasn't kuroo's usual route home, but he quickly caught up to her when he realized she was serious and wasn't going to stop.

yn didn't say anything else; she simply walked alongside kuroo at a steady pace, occasionally looking around or kicking a rock. 

kuroo didn't find the silence as scary as he thought it would be, he didn't feel forced to say or do anything to break it, and yn didn't appear to be uncomfortable because of it. it was actually quite nice.

and because it was so nice and made kuroo feel so comfortable, he decided to talk about why he was in a bad mood today.

damn it, yn was good at convincing people without making them feel pressured.