Chapter Three

Flyn

The fairy flings herself into the ocean. Is she fucking insane? The water will weigh her wings down and drag her to the bottom of the sea in moments. Unless she enchanted them to repel water, which I highly doubt, she's dead, and I need her alive. With a curse, I tuck my wings close to my back and dive in after her.

Elisa swims frantically towards the shoreline, but we're too far out for her to make it. Her wings drag in the water. I kick after her flailing body. She's no match for my speed and in seconds, I have my arms locked around her. She snarls a series of threats.

"I'm trying to save your life," I snap.

"Let me go," she retorts sharply.

"Do you want to drown?"

"It's a better option than suffering another second in your presence."

"Alright."
I release her. She immediately starts to struggle, kicking her legs frantically to stay afloat while her wings trail out behind her. When waves from the ship lap in our direction, her head dips under. She resurfaces sputtering.

"Fine. I'll take it back." She coughs.

"Are you sure?"
"Yes!"

Chuckling, I snag her waist with one arm and use the other to push us back towards the ship. Val tosses a rope down into the water that I wrap around my forearm. The crew hauls us back to the dock. I pick Elisa up and over the railing. She pushes herself to her feet, dripping wet, her wings sagging. Yet, she still shoots me a glare worthy of the fires in hell.

I stretch my wings out and shake the water off, fluttering them slightly. The spell holds strong, as always. If I needed to take to the air now, I'd be able to. Elisa, however, is stranded for the next six hours.

"Look what you did, Cap," Oscar huffs. "You drove her to suicide."
I roll my eyes. "Put her in the brig."

"What?" Elisa yelps.

"I need you alive and if you're determined to act like a fool, you will be treated as one."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me. You kidnap me, try to steal my necklace, throw me overboard-"

"I did no such thing. You jumped."

"Because you threatened to kill my horse! Who does that?"

"I am getting your necklace one way or another."

"You're more than welcome to try," she spits back. "I will never hand it over to the likes of you."

Delight surges through me at her challenge. She's amusing. Difficult, and annoying, but amusing. I would truly hate to kill her. Part of me screams that taking her life is something that not even I can come back from. But not getting that necklace will be the death of me and my crew, and that is unacceptable.

"Bind her wings, too," I say to Val.

Elisa erupts into laughter. "Go for it. Not like I can fly anyways."

"And who's fault is that?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

She crosses her arms over her chest defensively. "Man, I don't know. Who dragged me onto... What is this boat even called, anyways?"

"Boat? The Violet Skull is the quickest, strongest ship on the high seas. It is not simply a boat. It is a ship."

"The Violet Skull," she deadpans. "Who was drunk when they came up with that?"