Chapter 11 Extended Bathroom Trip

The skipper zoomed through the sky, and soon the pull of anti-gravity replaced the planet's gravity. Ahead I could see a small spaceship waiting with a rear bay door open. The inky blackness of space abated as we docked inside and waited for the room to re-pressurize.

As the doors opened, Alavaster tossed his phaser to a guard. "Take her to the lounge and keep an eye on her."

The ring leaders got out first, and when the guard gestured to the door, I exited without a fuss. As we passed through the airlock doors, alarm sirens rang.

All eyes immediately darted to me, and I hunched my shoulders. "Syntech metal ribs. I told you my bracelet had medical stuff. I wasn't kidding."

The skipper pilot shook his head as he got out and typed something into the wall panel while muttering, "Syntech bones are a known issue. I'll lower the security settings, else she'll trigger alarms and scanners left, right, and center."

Alavaster and Pete went down the right corridor while I was guided in the other direction. The expensive rug was worn and frayed, and the paint on the walls was peeling, revealing at least two different colors beneath. This previously top-of-the-line spaceship probably only had about twenty rooms, if I had to guess, not ideal for a game of hide-and-seek if I got away, but the luxury might give me a few more options.

The "lounge" was a handful of couches and chairs scattered around the small room in clusters. I picked a rundown chair, my fingers easily sliding over the hidden charging ports. But they were useless to me unless I had some sort of electronic device.

A couple such entertainment electronics were on some tables, but I didn't dare touch them. Not while two guards were watching my every movement. My mind whirled even as I tried to make my body relax as much as possible.

"How are you doing?" I asked Toby.

"T-they're hooking up the bracelet to the database right now."

"Main ship or that disconnected one?"

"Disconnected. Looks like the one you brought them."

That wasn't good, but if I hadn't been able to figure out a way to get Toby out of my bracelet, these techno-idiots didn't stand a chance.

"Jennisa..."

"What's wrong?" I asked, concerned about the trembling in his voice.

"They—they just threatened to destroy the bracelet's coding if that was what it took to get me to transfer. They promised to return the bracelet to you once they docked if I moved willingly."

These men weren't about to let a witness go, but I made sure to keep that thought too quiet for the implant to detect. I didn't know how to reply.

"I'm destroying the Bluetooth link so they can't use it against you once I transfer over. I know you have several backups of the coding saved online. I'll miss you. Stay safe."

A momentary faint buzzing made my heart sink.

"Toby? Toby!"

There was only silence. I leaned forward and rested my head on my knees to hide my tears, not caring if the guards thought I was having a panic attack or a mental breakdown.

It took me some time to pull myself together and form a vague plan. This group wasn't just about to let me go, and I sure as hell wasn't about to just sit here while they determined the best time to kill me and dump my body.

I sat up. "Where's the bathroom?" I asked quietly, not fully trusting my voice at the moment. "That burrito from last night isn't sitting well."

The guard with the phaser frowned at me but stood up. "This way. Try anything stupid, and you'll regret it."