𝖩𝗎𝗌𝗍 𝖹𝗈𝗈 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀𝗌 - 𝖢𝗁𝗋𝗂𝗌

In the middle of writing a new mini series but this story idea popped into my head so I thought I'd get it out. Anytime the title is "just __ things" just know it's a quick, pretty short, one-shot. 

Summary: Nick, Matt and Chris rent out the zoo in San Diego, including the over night Roar & Snore package. They stay in the premium tent, which has one queen size bed and two cots, Chris is not happy with being voted the one to sleep on the cot. 

Video reference time stamp: 36:00 on the "We Brought a Zoo"

Words: 1657

♡ The air was chilled and the moon was providing limited lighting as the triplets made their way from their camp tent to the bathrooms. The grass was damp, wetting their shoes during their walk between locations. After brushing their teeth, and utilizing the bathroom facilities, they moved as a tight group across the field back to their camp. It wasn't logical, but there was a looming feeling that an animal could jump-scare them at any moment. Matt was the first to look up, signalling to the other two to look at the sky. 

"Oh my god, look!" He pointed out. 

Nick and Chris were equally impressed. The stars were covering the dark sky, trillions lit up the surface area as far as they could see. The three paused in the middle of their walk, just standing, staring at the peacefulness of the sky. Admiring the sheer amount of stars, unlike anything they were used to coming from the city. 

Once back at the tent, Nick called shotgun of the bed, sighting he had back pain. In natural order, Matt was second to call out. Claiming since him and Nick called the bed first, Chris would, in turn, get the cot. 

"That's not fair, I didn't know we were calling it right now," Chris whined. 

"That's a weak excuse, you're just upset you didn't call it before I did," Matt laughed as he was getting his pyjamas on. 

"Fine, but this is stupid," Chris huffed. 

"For you maybe," Nick teased him, not helping the situation. 

"Fuck off Nick," Chris retorted. 

After a few more minutes of their typical bickering and a deep conversation of gratitude, the boys fell asleep. Sounds of snoring, crickets and faint animal calls filled the small tent. 

+

A roar from an elephant woke Chris from his sleep in the early hours of the morning. He was barely sleeping, unable to calm his restlessness. The sound didn't seem to bother his brothers, Chris noticed he was the only one now fully awake. 

It started to dawn on him were he was, in the middle of a zoo. He knew better than to theorize about the danger surrounding him, the logical side of his brain recognizing he was safe. But in his tired state, his mind wandered. What if today was the day one of the lions broke out of their enclosure. What if Elliot, the giraffe made his way towards their tent and stepped on him or Nick or Matt. What if Julius, the snake was slithering freely around the zoo looking for them. He suddenly felt hot, his skin was starting to itch and he became overly aware that he couldn't see well in the darkness of the tent. What if the snake was in here now, what if it was trying to crawl to him, sliding silently up his legs and body. He felt a lump rise in his throat. He tried to stay still, but a shudder ran through his whole body, leaving goosebumps on his skin. His imagination was out of control. 

"Mmmm," he couldn't help but let out a scared whine. 

His thoughts were racing, causing his body to respond. The tightness in his chest overpowered his breathing, making him fight for deep breaths. He could hear Matt's voice in his mind, remembering how his brother taught him to take deep inhales if he was feeling anxious. Chris tried, but what if the snake was on him, what if the lion was pacing outside about to jump on him any minute now. He clenched his fists, squeezing to distract himself. Matt would tell him to think of things he could feel, he thought to himself. He could feel the bedsheets on his skin, they were soft and made of a warm fleece material. Things you can see, Chris remembered as the next step Matt would give him. Okay, Chris was processing, he could see the lights peaking through the thin tent walls, maybe they were the pathway lights leading to the bathrooms he thought. He looked to his right and saw his brothers, although the room was dark he could see the outlines of their bodies.