4.3

To live is to embrace the occasional foolishness. Sometimes, you've got to take a chance because while ignorance might seem blissful, living in the shadows never quite works out. There are moments when you just have to dive in and give it a shot. That's what I used to tell myself whenever I faced my fears.

And today, it remains my motto as I walk through the doors of Cafe Rose. The bell chimes as I enter, mingling with the soft chatter of occupants inside, and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee welcomes me without any indifference. It's been a Herculean effort to dodge Emiko's scrutinising gaze as I stealthily slip outside, finally managing to escape on my own.

"Thisa," I jump at someone calling my name and my brain quickly picks up on the familiar voice.

Kiyoshi-san, in his ebony apron, appears from behind the counters, a radiant smile beaming on his wrinkled face. I can practically feel my heart thumping against my ribcage as I struggle to summon a smile that matches his energy.

"Kiyo-Kiyoshi-san," I manage to get through gritted teeth.

"Been a while, child. I was wondering why you didn't drop by later."

He is right. It has been weeks since I last dropped by here. Since the fateful dawn when a deluge of mysterious notes descended upon our room, with no trace of a sender or method of delivery left behind, she's practically kept me under lock and key. Upon learning of my intention to confront my secret admirer in person, Emiko has made it her mission to do everything in her power to keep me as far away from the Rose as possible. And for so long, Sakura has been my delivery person to bring my daily dose of coffee.

I had to wait until it was finally the day for her weekly checkups and keep Sakura occupied with something else. Luckily, none of the girls had spread the word to Kiyoshi-san, practically keeping him in the dark about the whole ordeal of me receiving mysterious letters.

"Busy schedules, Kiyoshi-san. Those assignments are eating us alive." I say while scanning the cafe with uneasy stares, trying to see if the one I'm looking for is here.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in here, as I have no idea what he might look like. All the notes that arrived through the window that night had the same line imprinted on them: 'One chance is all I want to prove I mean no harm. Please, let's meet. At the coffee shop. At your usual spot.'

"Oh yeah, Sakura told me. Taking a break today?"

"Yeah, just needed a change of scenery," I reply, my voice coming out a tad too high-pitched. I shift my gaze around the bustling cafe, feigning interest in the eclectic decor and the customers milling about.

Kiyoshi-san nods understandingly, his warm smile never faltering. "I get it. Sometimes, a break from routine is all we need."

I nod along absentmindedly, my mind preoccupied with scanning the sea of faces, searching for anything suspicious. The cafe is unusually crowded today, making it difficult to get a good view of my usual corner table from where I stand. But try as I might, my eyes strain in the familiar direction. The longer I stand here, the more impatient I become, my nerves stretched taut like a violin string on the verge of snapping.

"So, the usual?" Kiyoshi-san asks. "It's a bit crowded here today. I'm afraid your usual spot is not vacant."

I catch myself, I quickly snap back to the conversation, hoping Kiyoshi-san hasn't noticed my distracted demeanour. "Oh no, that's fine Kiyoshi-san. I'll take a to-go for today. Need to go back before Emiko comes from therapy." I reassure him with a warm smile, watching as he disappears into the depths of the shop to prepare my order.

As I wait, something catches my attention-a gentle bounce against my thigh draws my gaze downward, revealing the sight of a doe-eyed boy. Recognizing his cherubic features and the familiar mop of ebony curls, I can't help but emit a soft coo of recognition. I lower myself to his level, meeting his gaze with a warm smile. "Well, hello there, little one. It seems we've crossed paths once again."

The boy remains silent, just like the last time I met him when I was with Emiko, his gaze fixed upon me. Then he is suddenly darting away into the bustling crowd, effortlessly parting it like the parting of the Red Sea. With the crowd momentarily cleared, I finally catch sight of my corner table-and the man seated there.

***

Indeed, reality and fiction are distinct realms, each with its own rules and boundaries-those one should not get confused. However, at this moment, the line between them blurs, challenging my long-held beliefs.

My gaze fixates on the man at my usual table. He sits there, seemingly crafted from the pages of a romance novel-too perfect to be real, yet undeniably present. With his book in hand, he fixes me with a gaze that feels like a challenge, simultaneously captivating and disconcerting.

His deep blue eyes hold me in a trance, sending a delicious shiver down my spine. As if sensing my internal turmoil, he shifts in his seat, the fabric of his robe sliding, his toned abs peeking through the loose folds of his robe adds fuel to the fire, leaving me both flustered and intrigued.

Just then, the doe-eyed boy reappears, bounding beside him with infectious energy as he joins the man at the table. The man's demeanour softens momentarily and he pats the little one's head, his face adorning a smile both charming and disarming. Despite my best efforts to maintain a cool façade, I find myself drawn to him like a moth to a flame. And even before I know it I'm walking towards him.

I finally reach his table, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment at my own inability to resist his magnetic pull. "Well, aren't you just full of surprises," I mutter, unable to hide the hint of begrudging admiration in my tone.

With a huff of annoyance, I take my seat opposite him, trying to maintain a façade of nonchalance despite the involuntary flutter of my heart. My gaze falls upon the book he holds-a copy of 'A Shade Of Love. My copy of 'A Shade Of Love', with the broken spine and the folded edge of the front cover. Unlike most book lovers I used to adore those signs on books. The signs of a well read book.

"Well sweetheart, you're the biggest surprise here. I honestly didn't think you'll come," The man leans back, a devilish grin playing on his lips.

Sweetheart? What's his deal? "I'd like my book back." I cut to the chase.

"Oh, this?" He slowly snaps the book in his hand shut and mockingly wiggles it in the air. "Ain't founders the keepers?"

The audacity leaves me seething with a mix of anger and disbelief. "Doesn't matter. I'll take back what's mine."

He meets my gaze with a smirk, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Whatever you say princess. Then come and take it back."

And off he goes into a whisp of smoke and disappear from my sight.

Word Count : 1193