Nine

Auriel didn't appear in the clearing the following morning at sunrise to see her elf off, after he, with Gilderoy's help, staggered out of the cottage and succeeded to climb onto his white horse at third try. 

Only Wilbur and Aryana were there to say goodbye to their guests.

"Safe travels," Wilbur said, shaking their hands. 

Aryana hugged Peregrine fiercely, then, with a blush that suffused her cheeks like the shell-pink hue of the rising sun flooded the pearl-grey sky, didn't protest when Gilderoy wrapped her in his arms for a moment so brief that her father, talking to Peregrine who gave the dwarf an encouraging smile over the short man's head, hadn't noticed. 

"Please pass by on your way back; we are just as impatient as the rest of the inhabitants of Silmarea to meet our future queen," Wilbur pressed. 

"Thank you for your hospitality," Peregrine said noncommittally. 

"Thank you, Wilbur," Leodhais chimed in quite a regal manner from his horse, his eyes caressing the cottage where he had spent the short night longingly. 

It almost pained Gilderoy to think that he might miss Auriel, but he was reaching a conclusion that his friend, if he had really resolved to shoulder the responsibilities of a king, needed a lesson, and probably more than one. It seemed that he would have to learn a thing or two the hard way. Gilderoy sighed, and when he noticed that Aryana followed his look to Leodhais, then looked back at him questioningly, he shook his head and pressed her hand to his lips.

"Goodbye, fair Aryana, I hope we will meet again."

He mounted his pony while Aryana caressed the beast's head fondly. "I hope so too," she whispered into the brown pony's snow-white mane, giving Gilderoy a permission to dream, before she waved at Peregrine who observed the two with a bemused smile, then stepped behind her father, using him to shield herself from the travellers' view. 

Wilbur shook his head at Peregrine as if apologising for his daughter's demure behaviour.

"Be patient, Wilbur. Everything will sort itself out," Peregrine said, then patted Shadow on his large black head, a signal for the animal to start walking towards the river.

They were well out the werewolves' earshot and sight when the dragon shifter stopped to talk to Leodhais. 

"I understand that you didn't get much rest last night, elf, but that was your own wrong choice. We must hurry now unless you wish to repeat your... diplomatic act in the vampire land." Leodhais shuddered, frowned, and opened his mouth to argue, but Peregrine continued, ignoring him. "I would prefer to stop for the night in the centaur territory. The centaurs don't like to interact with anyone apart themselves, there's lesser risk of your..."

"Just... don't say anything else, dragon. Vampires are... cold, they are... dead. And centaurs are... are half horses, aren't they? What do you take me for?"

"I take you for someone who acts before he thinks and never considers the possible consequences of his actions. Now let us not waste any more time," Peregrine concluded, making Shadow turn away from Leodhais and urging him into a canter.

"What are you really trying to tell me, dragon?" Leodhais called, forcing his horse to keep pace with Peregrine's.

"Gilderoy?" Peregrine called, looking back, slowing down a little when he realised that Gilderoy's pony couldn't keep up.

"Of course, I'll explain," Gilderoy promised, making his steed move next to Leodhais' while he talked to his friend.

The elf's surprised 'Oh!' reaching him from behind made Peregrine laugh. There, the few months of worries and insecurities would help him grow up. The dragon shifter put his hand on top of his hat to prevent it from flying away, while he urged Shadow into a gallop with his other hand holding the reins. He needed to be alone for a while and think. Not only about the quest that lay ahead of them, but about the spark he had noticed between Gilderoy and Aryana... He needed to observe the dwarf more closely to see whether he was worthy of the wonderful girl. And if he was, Peregrine would do all that he could to persuade Wilbur to allow him to court her.