20. the happiest girl

a/n: lots of kissing :D

Kazuha's lungs felt too tight.

The dress was walling her in from all sides, and the pain cinching at her hips was definitely unfortunate. The heels were hell, the makeup felt like paint on her face, and worst of all, her normally straight hair had been curled and pulled into a bun around her face, strands wisping next to her hooped ears.

In short? She felt like someone she wasn't.

The makeup artist had been powdering something on her face for the last five minutes, and when she pulled away Kazuha looked in the mirror, feeling totally disguised. Her eyes were rimmed with highlighter and her face was dusted with light blush and sparkle, red lipstick and tint on her lips. Her earrings held golden hoops that wound in with the dark strands curling from her wavy-haired bun, and the suit she was in did nothing for her.

She was sitting there, the harsh vanity lights shining on her closed eyes, when she felt a tap on her shoulder. 

It was Chaewon. The older girl stood there dressed in a black dress that matched Kazuha's suit, the diamonds the same as the younger had on her cuffs. Chaewon's dark hair was combed neatly and her chocolate eyes sparkled with makeup, her pretty face accentuated by lipstick and highlighter. She smiled and crossed her arms at Kazuha. "Looks like you got dolled up too."

"Unfortunately," Kazuha grumbled, shaking her head as slowly as possible to prevent the jewelry and whatever else from flying off (or melting; the vanity lights were harsh). "This ballroom scene isn't even necessary because it's just Yumi and Joonwoo fluff, and they won't even end up together."

Chaewon shrugged. "We get to dress up and look pretty for free. Plus, we can go out later, make it feel real, you know? Lighten up, Zuha." She flicked the younger's shoulder gently, grinning. "Besides, I heard Kkura's outfit dropped a bunch of jaws earlier. Maybe she'll drop yours- or you'll drop-"

"Okay, Ssamu," Kazuha cut off abruptly, and Chaewon just grinned mischievously, turning on her annoyingly sharp heel and flouncing off.

Kazuha would be lying if she said Chaewon's words didn't interest her, but she forced down her curiosity and turned instead to look at her unfamiliar reflection.

- - -

Chaewon was right.

All too right.

Sakura was dressed in a white empire waist dress so light and flowy it seemed that she was some sort of fairy. Long angel sleeves hid her arms and shrank her figure, the dress being delicate and airy all at once. Her navy hair was tied up, and natural, light makeup dusted her face.

She looked angelic.

The doors opened as if she'd magically made them; she drifted through like a goddess, Yumi's steadfast expression on her gorgeous face. Strands of navy hair slipped from her braided bun, but it added to her look.

Kazuha was in the corner of the ballroom next to Chaewon as the leader of the little dancer group, and Soobin stood stiffly next to her. His expression was opposite, however; he reveled in his regained position as Yumi's love interest. Sakura stood across the room from them.

"Take one."

The notes of the waltz rang out softly, and Sakura spun onto the dance floor.

Soobin instantly moved forward and caught her in his arms, and the pair instantly assumed a ballroom dancing position. They waltzed across the floor to the three-count, spinning, their practiced steps coming into play on the glossy, mosaic floor.