Chapter Seven

Cas stood beside Dean, Sam, and Crowley just outside the crime scene tape marking where Vince Vincente had died. Or rather where Lucifer had obliterated his body. A sense of defeat blanketed the four men as they discussed their current situation.

"We're not winning." Sam told Dean point blank. "We're just losing slow. And you heard what he said."

"Onwards and upwards," Crowley answered the unasked question, his face swollen and bruised from his lost fight with the devil earlier on. "He's gone big."

"And he'll go bigger." Cas felt the defeat radiating off the Winchester boys. He knew whatever was to come, it wasn't something the boys could take on on their own. They needed help. And Cas had a pretty good idea of whose help they needed. They just needed to locate her first.

"And we will stop him." Dean's determined face was hard and cold. "We will. It's what we do, man." He looked to Sam, his eyes reflecting the loss his brother felt. Cas watched as Sam turned to look at the scene behind him, his face reflecting a sense of hopelessness. As Sam's eyes turned down, Cas could make out the slight change in his thought direction. He saw the potential dawn of realization cross the younger brother's face. Sam knew it too. It couldn't be just coincidence that Lucifer had made his grand comeback shortly after Alex's disappearance.

*

A few days later, Cas appeared in the bunker unexpectedly, causing the brothers to jump.

"Cas! You have got to stop showing up like that. We've talked about this, man." Dean rubbed a hand across his eyes, exhaustion starting to get the better of him.

"My apologies, Dean. I thought my news would be better shared in person than over the phone." Cas remained standing where he was, his gaze shifting between the two brothers seated at the table in the bunker's library. Dean was nursing a beer while Sam sifted through news articles online.

"No invitation needed, Cas. What've you got?" Dean prompted the angel to continue, taking a swig of beer.

"It's about Alex."

Both the boys' attention was immediately on the angel. They'd been searching for her for a while now, the only clue as to where she might be coming from a very tight lipped Crowley. The demon had claimed he couldn't help any further than giving the name of the town she was residing in. A town supposedly on another world.

"What is it?" Sam asked in an almost excited voice. "Did you find out where she is?"

Cas' gaze took on a far off look as he thought over what he had experienced. "I-- I'm not entirely certain what I discovered." His gaze refocused on Sam. "I'm not entirely certain, but I believe I felt her magic."

"What do you mean you felt her magic?" Dean wore a confused look. "Like she used some of her mojo to reach out to you? Is she trying to contact you?" Dean's voice wavered between frustrating confusion and impatient hopefulness. 

"No, no, nothing like that." Cas moved to sit in a chair, hoping the new position might help him understand what had occurred.

"Well then what, man?!" Dean half shouted at the angel, demanding answers.

"Dean--" Sam scowled at his brother.

"What?!" Dean's frustration and impatience was on full display now.

"I'm trying, Dean. I'm just not fully understanding what happened myself," Cas scolded his friend. "And if you'd remember correctly, you're the one that pushed her away and caused her disappearance in the first place." Cas' stern look pierced through Dean's chest.