Chapter One

Ignorance.

I'm well-familliar with it, being the leader's wife. Wife. Such a deceiving word. I am no wife, merely a trophy wife for Aiden Morozóv.

I bore his heir as he desired, I birthed the son he craved, all under force.

No. No.

I loved intimacy with Aiden, he did not. He only engaged in physical relations with me for procreation. Four times. And he struck gold, for in a matter of months, I discovered I was carrying the heir to the Bratva empire of New York City.

Isn't it ironic?

We've been 'together' for a year now, yet the only time he acknowledges my existence is when he requires me to play the role of the perfect wife.

I tenderly stroked Massimo's cheeks while cradling him in my arms, marveling at his resemblance to his Papa, not a trace of Mama in sight.

I adored Massimo more than anything. I cherished my baby so deeply, he was one of the few reasons I maintained the charade.

Thankfully, Anastasia was due to visit next week after a two-week absence. Following the Bratva conflicts, Aiden prohibited anyone from entering the premises except for him and me.

Not even Ronan or Rosabelle, let alone my childhood best friend.

Rosabelle, Aiden's younger sister, was only eighteen but had been studying technology for four years. She rarely visited New York, but rumors suggested she would soon.

Ronan, Aiden's right-hand man and closest confidant, was one of his most trusted made men and a contemptuous individual. Ronan was both flirtatious and cruel, nothing remarkable.

He despised me, and I reciprocated. Well, not really. I had no hate towards anyone. He and Anastasia were like oil and water. He detested her, and she loathed him. They clashed instantly whenever in each other's presence. The reason remained a mystery to me.

"You've been pacing in circles for ten minutes," a deep, chilling voice interrupted my reverie, causing me to startle and whirl around.

Aiden loomed over me, intimidating and foreboding. It was typical of him to sneak up on me and survey me. He always watched me. He never trusted me.

"I was making him fall asleep, it's past midnight and he was energetic all day," I reply.

Aiden walks down the foyer and steps to the grass, I could not take him seriously in a dark suit an a darkened look while he grabbed our son from my arms, gently pecking his forehead.

"What did you do all day?" he questions, not looking directly at me.

I glanced down, crossing my arms. I never looked him directly in his eyes, he was intimidating.

Aiden already knew what I did. He had cameras everywhere.

"Nothing, I just spent time painting and playing with Massimo," I responded cooly, clutching the hem of my dress.

Aiden nods. "Why didn't you pick up my call earlier?"

I pause. "I didn't see it," I lie.

"You did, you were watching the television but chose to ignore me. I'm asking again, dear, why did you ignore my call?"

I was mad.

"Why were you at the club with Ronan when you said you had work?" I snapped.

I never replied in such a heated tone with Aiden. Never.

But I was so mad. Ronan made sure to let the whole world know from his stories that he was at the club with my so-called husband.

"You know what? Sorry for disrespecting you but you said you wouldn't lie, would you like it if I went out to a club with Anastasia and cheated on you?" Tears stung my eyes and I walked back inside.

I heard his loud footsteps behind me as I ran up the stairs, shutting the door behind me as I walked inside our bedroom.

I heard another door shut, he probably put Massimo in his room or went to his office.

I collapsed onto the center of our bed, pulling my legs close to my body as I struggled to catch my breath. Dear God, I prayed for a devoted husband, so why did you send me a ruthless mafia boss who was nine years my senior and a complete madman?I was only twenty-three, I didn't deserve this. I deserve to go to art school and live my life.

A sob escaped my mouth as the door opened and shut. So hard. He was angry. Shit.

"You don't fucking make assumptions about me, Amara," he yanked my wrist away from my face, his grip tight and forceful. I had been hiding, trying to escape from him.

As he pulled me up to my feet, he shook me aggressively, his other hand wrapping around my jaw. "I was working, we had a mission to complete. You could have easily FaceTimed me if you wanted to. I'm not a cheater, nor am I a little boy who needs sex every day. I can take care of myself," he bellowed. "And if you ever try to go to a club without me, I'll wipe out all of New York City, leaving only you, my son, and me."

I shook my head. "You're insane,"

"I'll fucking do it. I'll kill every single person in New York City and only my family would live: you, my son and me. Or I'll take you to a fucking island and lock you there with me."

He was serious. He was insane.

My insane husband.

"Our son," I corrected, tears streaming down my face. "You hurt me every day. I was the one who gave birth to him. I was the one who lost my virginity just to give you an heir. I was..." I couldn't continue, breaking down in sobs.

Aiden fell silent. "You wanted to marry me, your Father--"

"I never wanted that. I don't know what lies my Father told you, but can't you see how terrified I am of you?" I whispered, my voice rising in anger. "I needed a husband so many times, but you were only present physically. I longed for you, I craved you, but you were--"

He released me, walking out of the room and leaving me alone for another night.

Just great.