3

A week goes by -

Maia sighs as she stuffs her apron and shoes inside her bag. She woke up two hours early to give her time to get ready for her shift. Even though it would take her 20 minutes to get there on the brown line.

She always allowed herself to journal in her laptop before going to work and after.

"Alright, what have I learned from this experience so far. I learned how much of a mess Original beef is and in debt they are... oh and some of the chefs are actually nice, but the main question that remains is why did Chef Berzatto leave his kitchen in New York to support a beef shop?"

Maia lived in a shitty apartment in downtown Chicago. She would have to take the red line to the brown in order to get to her work. She didn't count the red line to her trip to work, because it was only a few stops away.

The truth is, Maia could be living in a modern apartment with the revenue she gets from her blogs, but most of her money goes into her savings, family, and school debt.

She doesn't mind it though, as long as her family was happy, she didn't care to live in a dump. It was only for the mean time helps her lay low too.

Maia washes an apple, grabs her backpack and heads out the door locking it behind her. The immediate smell of weed goes inside her nose and she scrunches her face at the smell.

She looks to her left, and saw where the smell was coming from. It was one of her neighbors, smoking at 8:45am. She looks to her right and just goes about her day.

Maia enters through the back, and gets in the middle between an argument.

"Woah, what happened? What happened to the lights?" Maia stating the obvious pisses off Tina.

"You may be a hispana, but say something stupid again and I won't hold back." Maia nods her head and Tina walks off with everyone else.

"The power went off, and our toilet stopped working." Sydney says to Maia, and she nods her head.

"Ah, so I'm guessing I'm cut? Great, I can-"

"No, nobody is cut, we need all hands on deck. We're still opening. Syd come up with an idea, I'll be back. Maia, go to the register and check if you can open anything." Carmy heads toward the back door and Maia nods her head.

"Yes, chef."

Maia heads the opposite direction as Carmen, and Sydney follows with her.

"Okay, let me know if you can get any of the cash that was inside out of the register. I think I have an idea."

"You do? Alright well, yes chef! I'm on it." Maia salutes Sydney as she watches her go back inside the kitchen.

Maia for the next hour tries to find a way to open the register that had at least 100 starting dollars in there. Before the hour ended, she finally was able to pry open the drawer.

"I got the money!" Maia grabs the cash drawer and brings it with her to the kitchen.

"Finally, I was about to go in and ask if you needed help." Marcus says cheerfully, and I smile at him.

"Is your plan in motion yet Chef?" Maia asks Sydney, and she nods her head.

"Go put the drawer outside, we're almost done setting up. Marcus, bring the rest of the cakes out. And Maia, how well do you know the menu?"

"I know enough. Chef."

Sydney nodded her head, and they all went their own way. Maia quickly went outside to see a backyard style bbq.